How many external hard drives can you have connected?

Reaction score
With the intent of making a really huge file server; suppose I have an unlimited supply of external USB hubs (w/ their own power source). How many external hard drives can i connect to a mac mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
What if...
I had to guess, I'd say unlimited amount if you could plug a powered hub into another powered up.

I am curious, why a mini as a file server?

Gaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
with the single firewire port on the back of the mac mini, you can connect up to 63 devices.

i wouldn't use USB.

Reaction score
Well since I will be upgrading to an iMac in a few weeks I have found a most useful purpose for my windoze pc. It will become a file server across my home network. I'm going to stuff a couple of 500gb internal drives in it and then share them. I will most likely partition one of them in half and try reformating it for mac. The rest of the space will be formatted fat32. Windoze should be able to handle that.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was thinking of using a mini because it's very compact and nice looking. Also, i think it consumes relatively a lot less electricity than other computers. I could use a windows machine but they tend to come in larger form factors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There are some external drives out there that let you daisy chain a bunch of them together via Firewire. So you could look into this as a way to save yourself the trouble of getting multiple USB hubs.

Reaction score
With the intent of making a really huge file server; suppose I have an unlimited supply of external USB hubs (w/ their own power source). How many external hard drives can i connect to a mac mini?

Did you ever do some real world testing on this? I'd be interested in the results. We have a customer who wants as much HD space as possible connected to their mini so we're trying to find the best way to do that for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Well since I will be upgrading to an iMac in a few weeks I have found a most useful purpose for my windoze pc. It will become a file server across my home network. I'm going to stuff a couple of 500gb internal drives in it and then share them. I will most likely partition one of them in half and try reformating it for mac. The rest of the space will be formatted fat32. Windoze should be able to handle that.

If you are using any Windows OS for that file server, format all the drives as NTFS, so that it will be more efficient and secure. Connecting to it via SMB or CIFS from your mac will not require that you use any OS-X specific file systems on the server. This will save you time and hassle, as well - you won't have to continually explain to others in the house "if you're on the mac, you have to save in THIS folder."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.