squeaky noise when opening

J

JRJ26

I have a 12" PowerBook that i've had for around 3 months now. For the last few weeks, it's been making a squeaky noise whenever I open the screen or push it back, or close it. What should I do to fix this? Why is it doing it? Like, if you open it quickly, it won't make the noise, but this didn't happen when I first got it.

OP
S

starrin

JRJ26 said:
I have a 12" PowerBook that i've had for around 3 months now. For the last few weeks, it's been making a squeaky noise whenever I open the screen or push it back, or close it. What should I do to fix this? Why is it doing it? Like, if you open it quickly, it won't make the noise, but this didn't happen when I first got it.

I have the same issue -- I have noticed a number of people explain the same problem as well.

I took it back to apple and the guy tightened down some screws and it went away for about 3 weeks and eventually came back -- mind you the apple guy put 2 nice size scratches on my powerbook!

my opinion is just to not worry about it too much -- people will say get it looked at and i would not disagree -- but it seems to be a common problem whereby certain apple techs can fix it and others are clueless like the one i got.

OP
S

starrin

Hi there -- I am intrigued by your suggestions -- are there instructions on how to make you book smoother?

OP
M

m1k

Well, apparently Apple won't fix it under your warranty or under AppleCare because it's a 'climate problem' or something like that, so if you want it fixed you've gotta pay. Either you can get Apple techies to do it (which is supposed to not work at all), or you can use dry silicon spray (I tried it and it helped, but the PB's hinges weren't completely smooth, or you can order this from Radtech: http://www.radtech.us/Products/Glides.aspx . It's a kit for 'smoothing up' your PB's hinges. It comes with the screw removers and everything, so it's all you need. It's also quite cheap. My order is still getting here, so I don't know if it works or not, but it's like $15, what could possibly go wrong?

Good luck!

OP
S

starrin

Hello -- I would love to hear how you make out with this kit....also where would one obtain this dry silicon spray?

OP
T

TylerMoney

My hinge is still perfect, or so it seems. Though, if something were to happen with it, I would like to know how it turnes out...so yeah, keep us updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok here is my experience.. I was having the same problem and then one day I heard a snap and bam.. my hinge had broken.. and it cost me big bucks to have it fixed.. and that was me doing it myself instead of having Apple do it, which would have cost a lot more. I think silicon spray will breakdown the oil in the hinge so it is not recommended, so I believe I read. You do need to be very careful though.. it's quite an expensive replacement if you do break the hinge :(

OP
M

m1k

I tried some dry silicon spray actually, and it helped for maybe 2 days, and then the hinge went back to its old creaky self. Mind you, I didn't take the screen and base completely apart, I just used a paintbrush to get the dry silicon spray in the hinge. You can get dry silicon spray at pretty much any home improvement store (Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc.). But I don't recommend it since it doesn't really work. You can give it a shot if you're really desperate, though.

As for RadTech's AlGlide, I'll probably get it Monday, and then I'll tell you guys if it worked at all.

OP
M

Maju

I used sewing machine oil, just a little drip on both hinges, then open/close a couple of times and now it works fine! Be careful not to poor too much though!
Good luck!

OP
J

jp_tix

JRJ26 said:

I had the exact same problem and Tekserve in NYC fixed it for free because I'm still under warranty. That's about three months ago now, it's still smooth and silent.

jp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
m1k said:
Exact same problem as you - I've ordered this from Radtech: http://www.radtech.us/Products/Glides.aspx . It's a kit for 'smoothing up' your PB's hinges. It comes with the screw removers and everything, so it's all you need. It's also quite cheap.

Good luck!

I just received my Radtech AlGlide kit tonight and used it. Works great! Absolutely no more squeek and my hinge is smooth again. We'll see how long it lasts though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Haha...that was short lived. Tonight I opened it and the squeek is back. I'm going to try oiling it again and see if its better by morning.

OP
P

Plock

Hi, just checking to see what happened to everybody's screens, I just brought a 12” PB and the screen is doing this. I’m a little scared that the screen will snap off, did the Radtech thing eventually work?....

OP
M

meatychi

I got this super thin teflon oil spray and just sprayed it straight in there without undoing any screws. Works a treat!

Who would have thought a laptop worth nearly 2K would develop such a problem!

Apple created the climate problem with the amount of heat the thing displaces! They should fix it!

I got mine last year - I take it there are still problems in the latest ones?

OP
T

tariq

If there's just squeaking and no resistance (ie. you can open the lid with just one finger) Apple won't fix it under warranty.

However, if it is difficult to open the lid and seems as though the hinge is too tight, call Apple and they will have the hinge replaced under warranty (myself and others have already had it done). If you don't get it fixed you run the risk of a completely destroyed hinge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.