Migration assistens problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Migration assistent problems

Hi all! :D

I just bought a new lovely MacBook, and I wanted to transfer all my stuff from my ooooooold PowerMac G4 to it... So I got my paws on a FireWire cable with 6 pin connectors in each end, great, it fits :p

But when I reboot my old mac like the assistent tells me to, and the firewire icon appears on the screen... NOTHING! Did I do something wrong? My Macbook just tells me that it is waiting for my old mac to restart.... Odd

HALP!

PS my PowerMac has Tiger and my MacBook has Leopard :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you run the disk utility application, do you see your PowerMac's disk? If so select it and then mount it.

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
No, I only see my MacBooks Superdrive and Harddrive...

M

MacHeadCase

Two things I suspect here...

Is there any way you can test that FireWire cable to see if it is good?

Or it could be that the FireWire port on your Power Mac is fried and that you can test if you run the Apple Hardware Test in extended mode on that G4 of yours. Be sure you use the correct Apple Hardware Test: it should be in the G4's restore disk kit.

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1: how can I test to see if the firewire cable works at all?

2: I do not have any discs for my PowerMac, bought it used and all the docs and CDs I got with it is at my dads house (I just moved out)

M

MacHeadCase

Either try the cable on another pair of computers or try another FireWire cable.

And looks like running the Hardware Test is out of the question for you.

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought this cable online... And I dont have any computers to test it with...'

OP
NightCrawler
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS how long should it(my old mac) display the firewire symbol screen at start up? Any one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.