Mouse speed at login

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question. How would I go about speeding up my mighty mouse in the login screen? At the moment it is painfully slow and I can't find anything to do with speeding it up in sys. pref.

Any ideas guys? This must be possible!

Thanks

Edit- Sorry, didn't realise there was a mouse sticky!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not say what OS you are using, however if OS X.4 or X.5, go to System Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse>Mouse and there should be settings to speed up or slow down your mouse.

OP
J
Reaction score
oops! using 10.5. I have done that but cannot find an option to change the speed in the login in screen. I have managed to find it for each user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go yo System Preferences whilst in your user. Speeds can then be varied as each user prefers or if that will not work administrator has not given permissions so take it up with them.

OP
J
Reaction score
I am an administrator. The problem I am having is that the mouse speed in the login window is so slow, unlike any of the individual users mouse speeds, and I can't find a way to change it in System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you go to Keyboard & Mouse in System preferences and click on "Mouse" you should see three boxes with slide controls labelled tracking, scrolling and double click at the foot of the page.

You can adjust the speed on any or each of these three.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
lol... I don't think you can change the mouse speed during the login Window.. The OS is in it's own mode, and not looking for User or Administrator settings/preferences.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Does it not really annoy you as well, it takes me about 5 mouse strokes (like lifting it up and moving it) accross my table to get it in the centre of the screen!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
OK, thanks.

Does it not really annoy you as well, it takes me about 5 mouse strokes (like lifting it up and moving it) accross my table to get it in the centre of the screen!

Yeah... I've noticed it too... Honestly.. I too was hoping to find a solution in this thread. I am rarely "logged Out" though.. so it's not too big of a deal to me.

Actually... now that I'm thinking about it.. there may be an opportunity to edit a resource or plist file to change the mouse speed.

I'll post back if I find anything.

OP
J
Reaction score
lol yeah, I have 4 accounts on the computer though so we are constantly logged in and out, I prefer that to the switch user option for performances sake. I have noticed a slight drop in performance using it.

Not sure what you mean by that but any help appreciatred :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 15"
Can't you just hit the tab key and then return?
No need for a mouse for login.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Some users like the tactile feel of a click. I have also wondered about this, it is kind of strange why it's so slow. I assume it's because the default mouse speeds are usually set at a minimum, so this might be the reason for it.

OP
J
Reaction score
I think I could get used to using tab but I'm not sure about the other people that use the computer - I think they would prefer to move the mouse and click.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.