SSd or regular HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
I am thinking of buying a macbook air, and wanted an opinion on the advantages and disadvantages of SSD v HDD. The price is not that much of an issue, although it is enough to make me think.

Any comments welcome and that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
If the price really isn't an issue... get the SSD.. that should be sooo sweet (fast).

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
The only other issue is the memory. I currently have a 80gb hdd and have 22 gb left, so the 16gb loss is quite an impact.

but i should be able to move stuff to an external hd or somethin

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers for that, thats pretty much convinced me... Ill go for the ssd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Ghz 17 inch
ehh.. not worth the money...even for the SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
ehh.. not worth the money...even for the SSD

to me, it's not so much the ssd... it's the weight (or lack thereof!)

I have to hump my iBook everywhere with me for work...

while wide-screen macbook pros look super-sexy in the store, since I don't edit video or pictures, I really don't need the real-estate, especially as my right shoulder is already probably several inches lower than my left after 15 years of lugging old monsters around...

The lighter it is, the more I like it - and as my business is mainly words and numbers, I just don't need vast processor power.. the 1.8 Air with ssd sounds right up my street...

if only I didn't already owe the equivalent of three Airs to the Inland Revenue... :-((

Reaction score
definitely dont buy yet. apple is notorious for upgrading their products shortly after releasing them.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
definitely dont buy yet. apple is notorious for upgrading their products shortly after releasing them.

No, ill be waitin for at least a couple of months, just thinkin now so i can get it quick when I do. Also, if i hear any rumours about updates or anyfin then ill wait an that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
to me, it's not so much the ssd... it's the weight (or lack thereof!)

Hmm, I didn't know that solid state drives were lighter than conventional drives. Then again, laptop drives don't really weigh much to begin with, so how much of a difference is it really going to make?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes. They are a bi lighter, bug that isn't the issue. I don't want to be starting up from an 'ipod', but its hard to choose because of the 16 gb you lose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think the fact that it adds a thousand dollar premium is the more pressing issue than losing 16GB ;P

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ye, but that adds quite a lot of performance: Longer life, more resistant to shock, better battery life, quicker start up, quicker writing......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.