• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

General Moving Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I can't say I've ever really moved before. When I moved out of my parents house over a year ago, I didn't own much so I was able to it in an afternoon and used my bro's Malibu.
Now, I've got a decently furnished apartment so I am looking for advice.

The largest piece of furniture I own is a queen sized bed. I don't have a couch or a dresser or anything else heavy. Would it be easy to rent a uhaul and get my g/f to help or should I get movers to do this for me.
I've done a little price shopping and I'd think I'd save $250 if I did it myself.

I will be moving only 10 miles away or so. I have renters insurance so I should be covered if anything breaks, right? I will pack everything myself because so am not going to be paying movers to help me pack, even if they say there is no extra charge. I have all the supplies like boxes.

Is there anything else I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i think you would spend less money if you just used a uhaul truck. nothing like the self gratitude if you do it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
A truck, two of your buddies, and a Saturday.
First thing you do is get the beer and stick it in the fridge at the new place. Have the pizza delivery on speed-dial, and load the truck, which will take forever.
Get to the new place, start unloading, toss the cell to the g/f and have her order the pizza.
Be amazed at how much faster the truck gets unloaded.
Stop everything when the pizza guy shows up, whip out the beer.
Get the rest of the stuff piled into the corners, and then focus on setting up the couch, TV, X-box, etc.
Do a driving game challenge and lose graciously ;-)
Be prepared to be one of the box/couch/junk carriers on their moves, too.

Much fun can be had. Everybody gets a workout and a sense of accomplishment. You get to host the first thing at your new place, with no effort or worry involved. And you are 'the cool guy' if you buy everyone's favorite beer or pizza...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Definitely DIY!

That's the easiest move you'll probably ever make :)

Me and my girlfriend moved out of our first apartment last year and it's incredible how much stuff you accumulate.

Thanks to 8 great friends and one large trailer we were done in about a day. Many hands make light work, so if you've got a cousin, friend, colleague who fancies free pizza & beer give them a call :)

I've helped about 4 people move in the last 12 months, but they've been there for my moves as well, so it's all good!

EDIT: haha Perry beat me to it, but great minds apparently think alike ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You will find out who your true friends are!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
You will find out who your true friends are!
True. Nothing worse than the phone call from a friend asking for moving help. ;)

I've always done it myself in the past, but my next move will be hiring movers because of so much stuff we have now and kids, pets are enough to worry about.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The only advice I will give is:

Don't bring out the pizza or beer until the truck is empty. If you don't you will see how fast works stops and how hard it is to get it started again.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of friends up here. It took a year for a couple of them to check out my current place. All the friends I could ask are 350 miles away so I'm outta luck there.
I really don't own too much. I could probably rent an Element and fit everything in two trips. Everything I do own is from Ikea so it's all small once I take it apart.
I am just dreading the whole thing and was hoping I could pay someone to move it all for me. You're all right. I need to just do it myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You could always post in the "buy/sell/trade" forum and call upon our chicago members? :)

"Trade 6 hours of hard manual labour for pizza"

Reaction score
Over here in Detroit for my last move I decided I was too lazy to do it myself and got Palmer Detroit Movers for a pretty reasonable price... The crew that moved us back into our house was outstanding. They were friendly, helpful, and did everything we asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I know you're moving only 10 miles, but...as someone who a couple of years ago moved, oh...750 miles...take my advice: whatever you do, calculate your costs, and budget yourself DOUBLE that. Trust me.

And take video of yourself refueling the truck.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This thread is a year old. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.