Leopard super Slow

Reaction score
i've had Leopard installed for over a week now and my MacBook is really slow. it took me over 5 minutes just to get here to make this thread. i recall people saying it's slow at first but is okay after a few restarts.. i have restarted over 30 times and it only seems to get slower. my dock takes about 7 seconds to show up, safari takes about 45 seconds to open. i have a 2GHz processor and 2GB DDR2 Ram. does anyone know how i can fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Was this a clean install or an upgrade? There continue to be reports of issues with upgrade installs. As painful as it is, I would recommend a clean install. I am running Leopard on a new MBP, 2.2 GHz C2D, and it pretty fast.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
ya, i upgraded it. is there anyway for me to downgrade back to Tiger? i have no way to backup my files so restoring is not an option.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would insert the Leopard DVD, Reboot and hold C after the startup sound, when you get to the installer, look for options and select Archive and Install. Check preserve settings. You will loose nothing but it should take care of your problem. Some upgrade installs have issues.

I have a 1.66 Core Duo Mini with 1GB Ram and Leopard is VERY fast on it. Safari opens in 1 bounce for example. Very responsive.

After the Archive and Install and you see it works properly, you can delete the Previous System folder that Archive and Install backs up the old OS to to get back Hard Drive space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.