General Question

Reaction score
I am new to the whole wireless internet thing, so bear with me. I just purchased my first computer, a macbook, and so far am happy. I know the general stuff with it being hooked to the internet, did it at my parents, but I don't have it where I am at. What is the best type of internet connection to have for it? Broadband, dsl? Also, to get wireless, do I have to have a home phone number, or will just having a phone jack work? I don't want to pay for phone service when I have a cell phone. I'm sure there will be other questions as I go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Well, going wireless and the Internet are separate themselves...:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about not finishing my earlier post. (My son likes to play with the keyboard) :Oops:
First, you need to see what's available in your area. I would recommend broadband cable. (great speed) If not available, then look for DSL.
Keep in mind, there will be fee's either way. And DSL needs a phone line to work.
Is the Macbook already installed with an Airport card?

OP
S
Reaction score
I think the airport card is on there. When I was able to access internet at my parents, the three bar things were darkened at the top. When I got to my place, they were not. Is that what you are talking about?

Does broadband cable require me to have a phone line? I just don't want to pay for phone service.

Also, what is out there for traveling in vehicles? I looked on apple website and saw the kensington charger. Is that what most people use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look at the System Profiler in Applications/Utilities
On the left side, it has all info on the Computer. If it's there, it will be listed. (will be under Network)
Drag the icon to the dock as well. It will come in handy for learning your computer.
Broadband cable works thru cable services, such as Comcast. (for my area,anyways) No phone line required. If you have cable tv, ask if they have high speed internet and how much $.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
remember that cable and dsl are broadband. cable is through the cable company/cable jack and dsl is through the phone company/phone jack. you need either one of these if you want to have a wireless network in your home. 56k will not work. hope this helps a little. as for traveling i use this for power http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=2032056.2818117.2818330&parentPage=family i have used if you over a year now with 2 different machines and never had a problem. (never drove while operated the computer) lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Well either way you are going to have to pay for some sort of internet service, once you have done that and you have them install it, you will have to go out and (if you want wireless internet not wired) buy a wireless router connect it and than you will be all set! =]

OP
S
Reaction score
I know I will have to pay for some service. I have been looking at this http://www.sirisonline.com/ . They don't require a phone line. Don't know how good it may work though with me living in a basement apartment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.