OS 10.3 Panther issue...

N

nwilcox

i bought a powerbook about 2 months ago; works great. bought a G3 from a friend with 10.2 Jaguar about a week ago. used the CD i got from the powerbook to upgrade to Panther on the G3. it restarted, and has the follow issues: top menu bar shows on for 2 seconds then is hidden for 2 seconds (and cycles). does not show the hard drive on the desktop. does not show the cd on the desktop, and will not let me eject it. i am using a microsoft keyboard (aka no apple keys), so i cant eject the cd.

whats going on? was there a problem with how Panther installed? please help me. i'd rather not spend more $$ to take it to a mac store to figure out what got f-ed up.

thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Changes are that the install media you use was not a full install, but a G4 powerbook install disk.

To eject the CD, reboot the system and hold down the mouse button, when the systemj is booting. That should ejct the disk. You can even try pressing the F12 key (holding it down for a few seconds), it may work.

Which G3 do you have? I know that certain G3s you have to install Xpostfacto, in order to complete the install.

OP
N

nwilcox

rman said:
Changes are that the install media you use was not a full install, but a G4 powerbook install disk.

To eject the CD, reboot the system and hold down the mouse button, when the systemj is booting. That should ejct the disk. You can even try pressing the F12 key (holding it down for a few seconds), it may work.

Which G3 do you have? I know that certain G3s you have to install Xpostfacto, in order to complete the install.

i tried the mouse button and F12...neither worked. i'll give them both a shot one more time, but it didn't respond when i tried last time.

i have a blue and white G3 tower...it's 400 MHz, 446 MB, 6 GB, etc.

do i need to use the xpostfacto software, or ...?
also, the G3 only installed the first of 2 cd's that came with the powerbook. i don't know if that matters or not...

help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.