Photo Library

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel Core Duo, 13" Display
Does anyone have a suggestion to what program I can buy for a fairly cheap price just to store all of my pictures, and maybe do some minor touch up. I don't like the way iPhoto works and i'm tired of it. I want to use something that I can sort my pictures alittle bit easier and I have alot of pictures too so it's hard when you have 10,000 + photos and just scrolling through the whole library looking for just one photo. So, if anyone has any suggestions then i'd be glad to hear!

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If you will organize your photos one time within the iPhoto app, you will find it quite easy to find photos. When I import to iPhoto from my camera, I rename the event/roll to something relevant. Then I create folders (perhaps, "Vacations") and then within that have albums (perhaps, "Spring 2005" "Winter 2007"). You can also use smart albums with keywords to automatically organize them. A photo of Bob and Frank, for instance could have a keyword for Bob and a keyword for Frank. Then your smart albums would be "Bob" and "Frank". Then, whenever you used that keyword, the photo would automatically be put into that album.

Very easy to organize within the app. I suspect what you are doing is the universal no-no -- accessing your photos from within finder. Stay out of there! Corruption and photo loss will ensue. Give iPhoto app a chance and I think you will find that it is the easiest, most efficient way to organize.

If this does not help, please tell us what exactly you want to do and we can help show you the easy, mac way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
I agree with skybolt. All photo apps pretty much work the same way, but iphoto is so much easier to use. Apereture and lightroom are other possibilities, but they come with a price tag. Once you get the initial organization done in iphoto, it becomes a breeze.

OP
scottwparker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel Core Duo, 13" Display
Okay,

Thank You for the advice. I will give it a shot. And you say to not use the finder? why is this?

Do I do everything out of the application of iPhoto?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Okay,

Thank You for the advice. I will give it a shot. And you say to not use the finder? why is this?

Do I do everything out of the application of iPhoto?

Thanks

Pretty much. iPhoto has its own way of organising your photos in Finder, if you go into your Pictures folder and start messing with locations of photos, you can get a lot of problems. If you need to delete or move anything, do it within iPhoto and the changes in Finder will happen accordingly.

I'm finding iPhoto to be the best photo management app for me too, especially since it can display RAW now.

However, I keep my photos on an external drive at the moment (only have 60gigs on my macbook). A handy app I stumbled across, is iPhoto Buddy. This allows you to have multiple libraries, pretty much anywhere you like. It works as a launcher app - so you launch this first, select your iPhoto library, and have Buddy launch iPhoto for you with all your photos intact. Comes in really handy for me, as I now have my photos all organised and backed up on my external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.