Help! Messy desktop! How can I save to files?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro, OS X, with a desktop that difficult, LOL. It seems everything either goes to my desktop, or in a general file ie: Documents. Isnt there a way to download and save files from emails or such, and save them into the Docs-file specifically? For example, someone sends me a pdf for one of the businesses I run called Co. A. I want to save that file specifically in Documents file called Co. A Office Docs. I never had a problem doing this w/ my old Dell. This is soo super frustrating to me. I am normally very organized, and can not simply bear to save to "docs" then go into docs and then move it around. I want to be able to simply save to the right file the first time!

Any help here or am i crazy, lol???? Thanks!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
in safari, go to prefs then in the general tab change the default download location to whatever you'd wish it to be.

in mail, the process is identical, except you do it from the mail app. not safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Of course you can save them to the folder of your choice. When you use the "Save As" option for anything, you'll get a pop-up box. In that box, you'll see "Save As:" with the file name and a button with a triangle. Click that button, and you can select the folder of your choice. Or you can use the "Where" drop-down menu to pick from a pre-defined list of folders.

OP
O
Reaction score
Holy cow- thank you so much! I had no idea that triangle button next to save as served that purpose. I thought the "destination" was the only way. WOW- if i only knew that a long time ago! My husband told me that Macs couldnt do that, but i knew that didnt sound right. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.