Need help iMac or Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Power Pc 1.5GHz, 1 GB Ram, OS X 10.5
I am currently using a mac mini Power PC 1.5 GHz, 1GB Ram, OS X 10.5 it is a great machine to this point i bought it to move back to a mac from a pc and within about a month it became more of my primary computer then my pc i have all but left the pc realm save a few programs i need to have a pc for. I am wanting to upgrade to a new Mac and am having trouble trying to decide what would be better for what i want to use it for. I currently use Photoshop, iLife 08, iWork 08 on my mini for photo / video editing and such. I am wanting to get into doing some HD video editing, maybe podcasting (audio and Video ), web design and such, I like the idea of the Mac Pro with the expandability but I also like minimal space required for the iMac. I already have a large monitor ( 22 in ) widescreen but want to look at going bigger maybe ( 24 - 30 ) inches and maybe have dual screens. I spend several hours a day working on my computer and i am seeing that i am taxing the mini more and more on a daily basis I would like something that can keep up with what i am doing now and keep me going to a couple of years at least, I have thought about a Power PC G5 Power Mac and the older Mac Pros but since they are still almost the cost of a new Mac I cant see way I would not want to just go with a new mac, any help you can give would be great

Reaction score
If your budget is not too tight, i definitely suggest the Mac Pro. You have incredible expandability, pick and choose your monitors, and it will last you ALOT longer than an iMac.

With a new Mac Pro 8 Core and some decent RAM, you could do everything you have stated 5 times over, and run Windows virtually at the same time.

If you are on a budget though, an iMac will probably be just fine. It will accomplish each task individually, even if there is a slowdown compared to the Mac Pro.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Power Pc 1.5GHz, 1 GB Ram, OS X 10.5
I was looking at some of the used mac online and for a Power PC G5 Power Mac I would need at least a Dual 2.5 GHz one to run Color in the Final Cut Studio that would run somewhere about 1,500.00. I was looking at the new Mac Pro and the FSB is 1600MHz but apple is still using 800Mhz ram will that computer run faster ram ?? Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.