Power of Parallels

Reaction score
Is Parallels powerful enough to run a game with these system requirements?

1.7 GHz processor
512 MB RAM
DirectX 8 compatible video card

I can move a little slider up to 1024 MB of RAM, I think. I have an Intel GMA 950 video card, which claims to be DirectX 9 compatible, but I'm not sure how that interacts with Parallels. My processor is a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Does Parallels set a limit on how much of processor power it can take up?

I run a MacBook. The game I'm interested in is Valve's Portal, if that helps at all or if anyone has experience trying to run that on Parallels.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you searcxh the forums, you will find that vmware and parallel are not well suited for games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I dont think that parallels VMware really run games that good
I know that you can go ahead and do it but i dont suggest it.
Especially with those specs. there not bad but your CPU is probably
really consumed by running that software. it the specs were like 2.4GHz and 2GB RAM then go for it

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Portal does run under Parallels, but it won't do it with all of the eye candy turned on, nor at high resolution. I've also noticed some graphical glitches - but it does indeed run. Just FYI...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.