Mass Change Folder and File Permissions

Reaction score
OK, I've apparently done something to muck up the user rights to a lot of my jpg's. I'm sure I did it when trying to get sharing working between my VISTA PC, and iMAC. I've got a lot of files where I no longer have rights, or the "EVERYBODY" user no longer has rights. I can fix this one on one, but that is going to take forever to see which ones are messed up and which aren't. Is there a way to mass set the user permissions across multiple folders and sub-folders?

TIA, Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
1. Copy all the files to a folder.
2. Control + Click on the folder and select Get info.
3. At the bottom of the pop up window you will see all the permissions info. Change the permission settings as you want and select Apply to enclosed items (right next to the + - buttons).

OP
J
Reaction score
Tried going that route, but that won't work because every once in a while there is a file with the correct permissions and if every file doesn't have the same permissions then it won't let me do a mass change on them. I figured out how to do it through Terminal to fix the immediate folders I needed to fix but still looking for a global way to do the entire drive.

jason

Reaction score
I know that this is an old post, but I was looking for a solution to my problem and after a couple of hours looking for it I found a simple way that worked for me (Not sure if it will work for every body) and I would like to leave it here if someone needs it in the future as I did:

1 - Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
2 - Paste this line of code: sudo chown -R User_name /Users/user_short_name
3 - Type your Admin password
4 - Voilá

Now all Files and Folders of the user you specified may be owned by the user you're logged in as.

Good Luck

Reaction score
1 - Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
2 - Paste this line of code: sudo chown -R User_name /Users/user_short_name
3 - Type your Admin password
4 - Voilá

That changes the file owner, but not the permissions. If you want to make all files read/write for everyone, then do the above but change line 2 to

2 - Paste this line of code:
Code:
sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/user_short_name

Or if it's just a specific directory that you want to change, then change /Users/user_short_name to the path of the directory in question.

Reaction score
3. At the bottom of the pop up window you will see all the permissions info. Change the permission settings as you want and select Apply to enclosed items (right next to the + - buttons).

He may have to unlock the folder first though?

Reaction score

He may have to unlock the folder first though?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.