problems connecting mbp to 42" samsung plasma

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Hi,

I've just redone my lounge and put my samsung on the wall and chased all the cables into the wall. At first i was thinking of putting my 24" iMac in the same room and connecting via DVi 2 hdmi cable. This is the way i've connecting to the same tv in the past and it works perfectly. Now i'm thinking I'll leave the iMac upstairs and do the same setup with my mbp but with out using a apple adapter. So i have a 10m hdmi 2 dvi lead which i plug straight into my mbp, but the picture quality isnt as good as when the imac is connected. I tend to watch all my movie via front row but when i do the picture is dark and the people have an orangey tint to them??? I have the tv st up the same as when the imac use to be plugged in. the imac did'nt need setting up it just work straight away. The only thing i can think is that there are different types of dvi cable. I assume that the mbp can accept both digital and analog signal (DVi-i/DVi-d). The hdmi 2 dvi cable i have is DVi-d dual link socket so i cant understand why the picture is worse than my lesser iMac?

I was going to purchase a mac mini and use that as a media center but i dont want to have the same problem. But if i can get a good picture from my mbp i'll same myself afew £ notes.

Oh and the lead is a top quality one with gold connecters that cost a fair bit so i'm not using a cheap lead.

Any clues?

Cheers

Reaction score
Oh and the lead is a top quality one with gold connecters that cost a fair bit so i'm not using a cheap lead.
Cheers

because DVI and HDMI are digital, the difference in quality between a cheap and expensive cable is nowhere near as pronounced as in analogue cables. i don't know much about the different dvi specs, but make sure your mac's external output supports the resolution of the monitor. any flatscreen monitor will look awful if not set to its native resolution.

not sure about your macs, but 1920x1200 is the max for macbooks (non-pro) and macminis currently i think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.