Moving from a PC

C

counterpoint

Hey everyone..

Just purchased a 1ghz G4 and boy am I loving it...

Hopefully somebody can help me out with a couple quesitons.

Moving from a PC, when you install programs, you always have the option to uninstall and this get rid of everything, now on macs, how do you uninstall?

do you just delete the folder/icon from your applications folder or is there more places little files could be hiding?

Also, do macs need to be defragmented? and whats the best disk cleaner/utility program out there? diskwarrior?

Thanks guys...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Welcome aboard, and welcome to the Mac scene.

To delete stuff USUALLY you just drag it into the trashcan. I know it took me forever to be comfortable with it. But that's how it works. When you actually go and look around the file system, only the OS core stuff ( for the most part ) goes into the system folders. There is no DLL's, VB Extensions, or anything. So when you go to the Mail.app folder the majority of what it needs to run is stored there.

Some installers include uninstallers. You just run the installer again and drop down the selection to uninstall. I don't really know what this does other than moves the stuff to the trashcan, like as if you were dragging it yourself.

Welcome to complete control of the OS. This is were MS bites the big one. The OS is yours. Do with it as you please :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
though i dont recommend deletin your library :-D

OP
R

rat1watch

Emrys said:
Welcome aboard, and welcome to the Mac scene.

To delete stuff USUALLY you just drag it into the trashcan. I know it took me forever to be comfortable with it. But that's how it works. When you actually go and look around the file system, only the OS core stuff ( for the most part ) goes into the system folders. There is no DLL's, VB Extensions, or anything. So when you go to the Mail.app folder the majority of what it needs to run is stored there.

Some installers include uninstallers. You just run the installer again and drop down the selection to uninstall. I don't really know what this does other than moves the stuff to the trashcan, like as if you were dragging it yourself.

Welcome to complete control of the OS. This is were MS bites the big one. The OS is yours. Do with it as you please :)

I am also new to the Mac. I am not sure if I understand you correctly: do you mean dragging the application or its folder into the trashcan? I hope I am making sense.

OP
J

jerodhusvar

rat1watch said:
I am also new to the Mac. I am not sure if I understand you correctly: do you mean dragging the application or its folder into the trashcan? I hope I am making sense.

Yes, you drag the application's folder into the trash can.

Jerod :cool:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You drag the folder of the application. If the application is Turbo Tax, then you drag the Turbo Tax folder to the trash can.

OP
R

rat1watch

Thank you!
What about uninstalling a driver, like a new printer driver you found you didn't need?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.