fast enough?

Reaction score
hey

does anyone think that having 2GB of memory for the MBP is fast enough?

Reaction score
Personally I think it is more than enough... Even for running parallels at the same time.

Of course it depends on what you use your computer for... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
It depends what applications you intend to run, and whether you will have multiple programs running at the same time.

Frankly, if I bought a MBP (which I'm planning to do when the new version is released), I would go straight to 4GB as I did on my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I've got 2GB on mine, and it's fast as lightening.

Granted, I don't use Photoshop at the same time as other programs and whatnot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
As everyone else said, fast enough for what?
What are you going to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Ditto
also if its just for the basic's web browsing, viewing pictures ect. then its more than enough. Photoshop and applications like that its enough but you could see a significent difference if you was to up-grade to 4GB.

OP
J
Reaction score
id most likely be running photoshop and listenint to music in itunes while talking to people (im a pretty big multitasker)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Well I think it would be best to go with 4GB but if your struck for cash just stick with the 2GB :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
Well I think it would be best to go with 4GB but if your struck for cash just stick with the 2GB :D

I don't know what the price is for a 2gb kit, but for a 4gb kit it's ~$95 which is kind of affordable considering Apple sells it for $700.

I upgraded my MBP's ram (went from 2gb to 4gb) and there is a noticeable performance increase (nothing crazy). Running multipla applications at the same time is much smoother and faster. For ~$100, ram is the best upgrade there is for the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
I don't know what the price is for a 2gb kit, but for a 4gb kit it's ~$95 which is kind of affordable considering Apple sells it for $700.

I upgraded my MBP's ram (went from 2gb to 4gb) and there is a noticeable performance increase (nothing crazy). Running multipla applications at the same time is much smoother and faster. For ~$100, ram is the best upgrade there is for the MBP.

My MacBook runs fine with 2GB, and I am what you would consider a "power user". I am always running a ridiculous number of applications concurrently, and I rarely experience slowdown. In fact, I currently have Photoshop CS3, Flash CS3, Flex Builder 2, Firefox, Adium, and iTunes running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I wonder if we are not "over rotating" on the memory question here. I have 2.5 GB of RAM in my PowerMac G5, and also a memory usage meter running in my Menu bar (MenuMeters, if any one is interested). With Photoshop CS2, Thunderbird and Safari all running at the same time, I never get more than 2/3rds or so my total memory used. My guess is that 2 GB is just fine!

Can anyone who has used their MacBook Pro with 2 GB, then upgraded to 4 GB, provide us with any insights as to whether it really gets any faster? I am dubious...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.