Shared Network Question

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought my imac just over a month ago now and am absolutely loving it compared to windows. I have found these forums invaluable in the last few weeks as i get used to the ins and outs of the new mac. A quick question i hope someone can help with though. I am running os X10.5 and today have noticed in my menu bar on the macintosh hd menu a new menu bar on the left called shared. When expanded it lists a windows pc named stone03. I have never allowed anyone access to my mac and am worried what this means. I believe my wireless home network is encrypted as it has a little padlock next to it on the airport drop down menu and you have to enter a password to access it.

I was wondering if anyone could answer these questions:

1) What can this user see on my mac and what is he sharing, is my itunes library his to browse.

2) How can I remove him from my shared menu.

3) Is he using my wireless router to access the internet.

Many thanks for any help you could give to put my mind at ease.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
1.)If he is using a PC he should not be able to see anything, maybe just maybe if he is a good hacker he can see your shared folders.

2.)You can't remove him you are seeing him he is not seeing you, the shared thing just lists all the shared computers connected to your network.

3.)It does appear that that is what he is doing, I suggest putting a new password on your router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.