How do I update my Mac OS X 10.2.8 operating system

Reaction score
I am at a loss!! How do I update my Mac OS X 10.2.8 operating system?
In order to update my browser I need to update my operating system.

Please Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You much purchase the operating system the browser wants you to have. Panther and Tiger ban be found cheap on ebay, while leopard is $129 at the apple store.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, cuttingadash.

To update your OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar install, you will either have to buy OS X 10.3.x Panther or OS X 10.4.x Tiger. I won't recommend Leopard because:
- I have no idea which Mac your are using and the hardware might not be compatible with the latest OS X version Leopard
- Leopard seems to have a few kinks to iron out still and if you only run older software, they might not get on too great with Leopard: quite a few software apps had to be updated for compatibility issues.

Try eBay or an Apple reseller for Panther or Tiger, I doubt very much the Apple store is still selling those versions of OS X. Just make sure you buy the full retail install disk (it should be a black CD or DVD depending). Another thing to make sure os if your Mac can read from DVDs: if it's an older model, it might not be able to read them. Starting with OS X 10.4.x Tiger, the usual install disk kit as in DVD form and if a user needed the CD version, they had to make a special order at the Apple Store.

As an aside, the newer the OS you will use, the more RAM you will need to add in your Mac if you still want to enjoy using it instead of seeing it slow down dramatically.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add:

PowerBookG4 beat me to it! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
But you added more information! Great post!

OP
C
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 and MacHeadCase thank you for your responses.
I have some additional questions:)
I have a Mac PowerBook G4. Will the Tiger Software that came with a friends IBook work to update my operating system? Will my Applications such as Illustrator and Photoshop still be compatible with the Tiger operating system since they are older versions? When I do install the new operating system will it have to be a clean install?

M

MacHeadCase

No it will not work.

Apart from the illegal aspect of what you are asking (legally, one OS X installer disk = one install on one Mac only from Apple EULA), those disks are hardware specific which means that they will only work on the same kind of iBook model.

You will have to look at eBay or craigslist for a full retail install Tiger disk. The disk(s) should be black, not grey. And make sure you get the right kind of disks: the standard Tiger install disk came in DVD form so your PowerBook should be bale to read from DVDs. If it can't, you will have to look for the special Tiger set on CDs instead.

I have no idea of your Illustrator and Photoshop versions, you haven't posted them, so you would have to try them out.

Good luck! :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign CS

Sorry about the double thread post.
I currently work with Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign CS.
Do you know if these are compatible with Tiger?
I will look on ebay for the Tiger software. It makes sense that the other is illegal. Thanks for the info!:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.