HP iPod vs. Apple iPod

D

dziner

What's the difference? I saw the HP iPod commercial today and was surprised to see a white iPod and not a blue iPod which I was expecting. Prices look like they're the same... so what's the difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
HP name on it and you can get "tattoo's" on them....instead of having the white iPod you could get the case too look like some bands or something like that

OP
D

dziner

I saw that... but I wouldn't consider that much of a selling point. What would keep people from applying these "tattoo's" to any iPod?

OP
I

iSheep

Nothing at all.

There is no difference at all, apart from the HP logo.

The reason HP are selling them is to attract a much larger group of people. So when your average Joe goes into PC World to buy his Compaq/HP computer for him and his kids, he'll be offered a HP MP3 player (i.e. iPod) to go with it.

OP
D

dziner

Ok, that sounds good enough for me. Looks like Apple is simply branching it's distribution channel.

OP
I

iSheep

Certainly is - and quite right too. Jobs has made the same 'mistake' he made many years ago, whether it's a mistake or not is yet to be discovered, but Apple need to get as much of the market share as possible for their system to work. This is going to be like VHS vs. Betamax back in the 80s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or mac vs. Windows early 90's.

I bet that Job has finally agreed that the OS wars are over, and instead wants to supplement the Computer part of apple with the music part.

To do that, he has to win the online-music-store / mp3-player war.

And instead of fighting it alone, he is getting other big players to adopt the iTunes music store by offering them the glamour & stylishness of the iPod.

Very clever if you ask me - it's not going to make people switch, but it'll get them to the iTMS...

OP
D

digitaleyeon

iSheep said:
Nothing at all.

There is no difference at all, apart from the HP logo.

The reason HP are selling them is to attract a much larger group of people. So when your average Joe goes into PC World to buy his Compaq/HP computer for him and his kids, he'll be offered a HP MP3 player (i.e. iPod) to go with it.
Actually not entirely true. The harddrive inside the hp is made by a different company.

OP
P

petrified pixie

Only thing is..I'd rather MAC stuff not be as popular. I kinda like it how it is...although we all know apple is better....and we would NEVER go back...;) I just don't really want EVERYONE using apple products...weird...maybe...but...when I saw that apple had hooked up distribution with HP I wasn't very impressed....can't explain it..lol weird.

-a computer is as a computer does-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.