MBPro 15" with two problems. Super slow and firmware 1.1 keeps updating

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a MBPro that has two problems and I cannot figure out how to resolve the issues.

The MBPro is 15", 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2-667Mhz RAM

1. After doing a clean install of Leopard (10.5) to a erased/formatted disk the performance is much slower than Tiger (10.4.10) was. I frequently get the spinning rainbow wheel of doom after boot/login when I open applications (browser, email, dashboard, etc). It is insane that a machine with decent hardware guts rolls so slowly. (hey Apple, I'm not happy)

I have seen comments before mentioning things like reflashing, clearing some nvram or cmos, applying or modifying kext files, etc but I cannot find those postings anymore and cannot find details of what steps to take when you get sick of looking at the spinning rainbow wheel of doom.

2. Software Update offered me the Macbook Pro Firmware Update version 1.1. I let Software Update download and apply the update. Even though I have allowed Software Update to go through this process four times when I connect to Software Update it still says I need the v1.1 update.

Can someone tell me how to get my MBPro and Software Update to think it has v1.1 update?
Can someone tell me how/what to do to kick my MBPro and wake it up so I stop seeing the rainbow wheel of doom?

Thanks

--Jeff

-----------------
Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.2f10
Serial Number: xyxyxyxyxyxyxyxyxy
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

also... OSX version 10.5.1
-----------------

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
have you run disk utility and repair disk permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Have you fully installed the firmware update? It's not enough to let Software Update download it.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303364
Read the onscreen instructions and click Shut Down to proceed with the update. The firmware image will be loaded on your machine, and your machine will shut down, but the update will not be installed until the next step.
Hold down the power button until the power indicator light flashes, then release it. A long tone will be heard, then a gray screen with an Apple logo appears. There is a progress bar under the logo. As the progress bar moves, your firmware is being updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.