Keeping all podcasts off of my Nano 3G?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
Can anyone tell me why, even though I've got the Sync checkbox unchecked in the Podcasts tab of my Nano 3G in iTunes (Mac OS X), when I plug the Nano in to sync it with my music library, it often starts putting podcasts on the Nano as well (and then complains that there isn't enough room)? The only way I've been able to get those podcasts back off of the iPod when syncing is to also tell iTunes to "only sync checked songs and videos", and then go in and manually uncheck each and every podcast, which is a pain. So what's the story here? Am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Do you have your Recently Played playlist syncing with your Nano? It's possible that there are podcasts in that playlist, and as such, are being synced to your Nano.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Do you have your iTunes / Nano to automatically sync when the iPod is plugged in?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have my Nano and iTunes set to automatically sync.

Good idea on the Recently Played playlist, except that there aren't any podcasts on that. However, there WERE several new podcasts on my Recently Added playlist, and now I suspect that's where the synced podcasts are coming from (as it is always the latest downloaded ones that seem to get pushed onto the Nano).

Is there some way for me to keep all of my music automatically syncing and still remove a playlist from syncing? It looks to me like the only way I can exclude a playlist is by selecting to only have selected playlists synced, and I don't have all of my music in playlists. Maybe if I create an automatic playlist that includes all of my music?

F

Fallooza

if you are usin smart playlists you need ta select podcast and chose faulse. (see pic)

Picture 4.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you want to get rid of specific playlists, go to the Music tab and remove the check next to the playlists you don't want to sync.

Though I'm thinking Fallooza's idea is better if you want to keep all playlists synced.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the help of all of your combined words of wisdom, I think I've figured it out. I did change my settings to only sync with selected playlists. I then added an all-music smart playlist that basically just excludes podcasts and video files, and enabled that one for syncing (along with the other playlists I actually use). Seems to have worked like a charm, and now I've got all of my music plus enough space left over for the next CD or two that I buy (yay!).

Thanks everyone! I'd never even noticed that podcasts were showing up in the "Recently Added" playlist until you guys set me on the right track.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.