What is the Option Key?

Reaction score
Im trying to empty by rubbish bin and I keep get messages about not being able to delete locked files and if I wanted to do that then hold the option key while I empty the trash and then everything will empty out.

But for the life of me I cannot figure out what the option key is? Can someone please put me out of my misery and tell me which key on the keyboard is the option key???

Many thanks

Mailman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The Option key is also known as the Alt key. It is located in between the Command/Apple key and the Ctrl key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
It's the one 2 to the left of the spacebar...the one that says option on it, unless you are using an older keyboard than it has that little T esque symbol or if you are using a windows keyboard than it would be the alt key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
On non-US keyboards, the symbol is ⌥

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Woah hey how do you make this---> ⌥ symbol?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Woah hey how do you make this---> ⌥ symbol?

You can insert the option symbol and lots of other symbols, like ⌘ and ⏏ from the Character palette, which you can turn on from the International pane of System Preferences.

As you seem to have figured out, the HTML code is ⌥, which you would use in a forum like this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.