Ripped off? (Airport card with non-Apple wireless modem?)

Reaction score
Possible? (Airport card with non-Apple wireless modem?)

Hello,

I'm very new at networking, and don't fully understand what Airport does. All I know is I bought a Netgear Wireless Ethernet DSL modem/router and asked my local Apple retailer what I need for my mac to use broadband internet using this modem. He told me to buy an Airport Extreme Card for my eMac G4 800.

I haven't installed it yet, because I have noticed everything I have read on Airport cards only seems to assume you have an Airport Base STation, which i don't have.

Can you use an airport card with a 3rd party wireless Modem, or should I get my money back? :)

I'd be surprised if it couldn't, as Macs usually are good with this sort of thing, but wanna make sure before I break the seal.

Thanx! :)
Thendis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Yes, you can definitely use an AirPort or AirPort Extreme card with a 3rd party router. I'm currently connected to my Linksys wireless router via my iBook's AirPort card.

N

nicholas

Yeah, the manual only states to use it with an Airport Extreme base station because naturally, Apple wants you to buy their product. But if you set up your Netgear Wireless correctly (or any wireless hub for that matter), the airport card in your apple should be able to automatically detect it. Same reason that if you go to a Starbucks, some college campuses, some airports, high end hotels, etc., you can automatically go wirelessly online even though I doubt any of them actually use the Apple Extreme base station.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.