Reformat External Hardrive into FAT32 using Disk Utility

Reaction score
Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to reformat my G-Drive Mini into Fat32 format using Disk Utility on a MBP?

I have tried forever and cant seem to get it to work.

Reaction score
1. Open Disk Utility
2. Click on the name of the drive in the left panel
3. Click Erase over towards the upper/middle right
4. Select MSDOS under 'Volume Format'
5. Click 'Erase' Button

I am guessing you already tried that though???

Reaction score
This worked for me. I had made the mistake of taking my portable Seagate 500g drive and formatting to work on the Mac and then was not able to use on my PC. I reformatted the Seagate in Disk Utilities using MS-DOS of which allowed me to see the drive on my PC. Next I reformated the Seagate to NTFS format on the PC and was able to recover using the HD on my PC.

The problem I am having is Mac will allow me to use a HD if formatted in FAT32 but I can not copy and paste large files such as movies from my PC onto the drive that is formatted in FAT32. On the flip side of this I can copy and paste movies to the HD when formatted to NTFS but the Mac will not see the HD...

So I can't have the best of both worlds. I have installed the DIVX player on my Mac but can't seem to find the path when using Utorrent to download the movies to the Seagate drive when it was formatted to the OSx format.

I would really like to be able to use the Seagate to store HD movies I have downloaded and play from my Mac to my Plasma...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The answer is to reformat the drive to NTFS and then purchase "Paragon NTFS" from Paragon software. A bargain at $39.95 normal price. It's currently on sale this weekend for $9.95! It also includes Mac browser software which allows you to go the other way.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.