questions about AEBS external harddisk

Reaction score
can I put like mp3/movies in the external harddisk of AEBS, and add it in my playlist so I can play it from it directly? because notebook space is limited.

and mostly, what brands of external harddisk do you all prefer?
Lacie, Buffalo...etc?

and I know it can share the external harddisk through WAN, so how can I connect to it when I am out of home...by ftp or....? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
To copy your itunes library to the external drive choose consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your itunes media to the external and link the itunes library file to it

The music will now be on the external while the library file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Music folder of your macbook.

If you want this library file on the external as well, copy it to the external drive, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you see this screen:

ilib.jpg

Select the library file you just copies to the external and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now delete the stuff off your macbook

You can also use the choose library dialogue to switch between your large music collection on the external and a smaller music folder on the macbook if you wish

OP
C
Reaction score
if the music haven't been add to itunes yet?
can I put it in the external hd first, then I add it in?
because my home will have both mac and windows computer

and it can play on the external hd, right?
how about movies..?
will it be lag?
and is a 7200rpm hd ok? thinking to get one tomorrow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will have to point itunes to your external folder first

see preferences below

You will also need to turn off Keep itunes organised and Copy files to itunes folder, or itunes will duplicate your files when you import them from the external

After you have imported everything switch the above two options back on if you want new music to be copied to the external when you use iTunes

OP
C
Reaction score
sorry...but i am really a newb here"

so..how is the best way to organize the file...because i am gong to listen to music through mac and windows on different computers...

and can the AEBS acts as an ftp server....?
because i don't really understand how it shares the harddisk....
how can I connect to the AEBS external hd when I am outside?
any simple websites teaching these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. I would say the best way to organise the files is to let itunes do the organising.

So set your (emty) itunes folder on the external using preferences (see above). Keep the itunes folder organised and copy to.. buttons active.

Copy the tunes into iTunes and it will organise your music and copy it to the folder on the ext you set in preferences. Once imported you can delete the old music after first checking your new itunes folder has all your music.

Are you likely to be listening to the music from both machines at the same time with both using itunes?

FTP - OS X usually allows you to share your User folder as an FTP directory. If you want to share another folder (and restrict access to that folder or disk only) you can set up custom FTP log-ins using PureFTPd Manager

http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/

OP
C
Reaction score
1. I would say the best way to organise the files is to let itunes do the organising.

So set your (emty) itunes folder on the external using preferences (see above). Keep the itunes folder organised and copy to.. buttons active.

Copy the tunes into iTunes and it will organise your music and copy it to the folder on the ext you set in preferences. Once imported you can delete the old music after first checking your new itunes folder has all your music.

Are you likely to be listening to the music from both machines at the same time with both using itunes?

FTP - OS X usually allows you to share your User folder as an FTP directory. If you want to share another folder (and restrict access to that folder or disk only) you can set up custom FTP log-ins using PureFTPd Manager

http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/

but the external hd is at the AEBS...and the computer will connect to it...so I just can read the file for every computer? (i think i don't need a ftp for that because the hd is plugin the AEBS
i just don't know if the itunes files are only for one computer or can be for more than one..?
can all of my computers read the same library file as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.