• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you use algebra in everyday life???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac PowerPc G4 1.25 GHZ Processor, 1Gb Ram
I know a lot of you will think this is ridiculous lol, but for a small homework assignment Im supposed to ask two people if they ever use algebra in their daily lives...and if so, how?
a little help would awesome!
-Emoguy

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sure.

in cooking, home repair, etc.

sure, i may not actually write down "(x*4) + 6 = 18" on a piece of paper, but the concepts come into use all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Nope. And I can answer for the rest of my family as well: Nope.

Other than Plus, minus, divide, and multiply, I haven't used any math outside of the education system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
not everyday but i do use algebra often. One time it helped to get myself and 4 of my fellow employees 1000 dollar raises.

OP
Emoguy55
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac PowerPc G4 1.25 GHZ Processor, 1Gb Ram
wow, I wish I had 1000 dollar raise
thanks everyone!!!

Reaction score
Algebra no, geometry all the time. And it doesn't hurt to understand the concepts behind it, numbers, facts, figures, statistics are thrown around all the time. Best to know your way around!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
dosent everyone technically use it?, If i want to work out a percentage of something in a shop then it would be

x percent = x/y * 100

Most of us would use this same formula to work it out even if were not conscious of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
All the time:
At work we sometimes need algebra to calculate prices, break-even points, advertising budgets etc.

And having just moved into a new apartment and fitted a kitchen I'm glad for all the geometry I've been forced to learn as well :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
We use it at work once a week to calculate the ad to editorial ratio in our paper

Reaction score
I'm glad you asked that question.
I'm taking algebra, for my second year (since our state raised the requirements, now everyone has to get knocked down and start way back in algebra), and i don't like it. lol.
The basics is the only really thing IMO that we should really care about, that's really the only thing we will care to use!
Like, I don't know WHO is going to use the quadratic formula in REAL life, except for someone with a job like that.
Sometimes it gets irritating.

Same thing with physics,
i dont know ANYONE who calculates the IMA (Ideal Mechanical Advantage) of ANYTHING. Maybe some people do, but i'm going to go out on a limb, and say most people DONT. It seems like they (education system) tries to shove so much crap down our throat before we're outta there, it goes so fast we don't even remember or understand most of it.

But to answer your question, i'm going to go with goobimama and say no, excluding school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
There was this one time, when a lecturer put a math problem on the board. I solved it in my mind and shouted out the answer. So he asks me to explain how I got the answer. I had no idea how I did it, but I was sure of the answer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
It is also exercise for your brain. Using logic to figure out solutions (it is more prevalent in geometry) is never a bad thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
Haha, absolutely not. I haven't taken math since my junior year in high school, and thanks to me testing out with an "A," I never have to take it again. Anytime I do anything math related, I pull out the TI-89, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I know a lot of you will think this is ridiculous lol, but for a small homework assignment Im supposed to ask two people if they ever use algebra in their daily lives...and if so, how?
a little help would awesome!
-Emoguy
Only algebra?! I use math all of the time. Here's an algebra example.

I have a car that gets at least 20mi/gal around town, and it has a 15gal tank. I've gone 200 miles on the current tank, and am about to take a small trip that is 30 miles in each direction. Do I have enough gas to make the trip? If I don't buy any gas, how much gas will I have after the trip? This is usually followed by the very subjective question, "Am I pushing my luck by not putting any gas in the car before I go?" ;D

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano
i am a fashion merchandising major and we will have to use algebra and simple math to figure out gross sales, profit/loss, gross wages, etc.

and if something is on sale when i am shopping, i pull out my phone and calculate how much i am getting off the retail price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
if something is on sale when i am shopping, i pull out my phone and calculate how much i am getting off the retail price.
I've done that, too. :)

I'm generally 'tethered' to my cell phone calculator because I don't calculate well in my head. I don't use algebra every day, but at least a couple times a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use it often, for billing and pricing informaiton.. but I also use in final cut to to manipulate objects in the motion tab.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.