hard drive upgrade, slow start up

Reaction score
Hey, I just upgraded the 60GB hd in my MB to a 120 GB western digital scorpio 5400rpm drive. Now the computer is taking an abnormally long time to start up and shut down, but once it is running there is no other change.
I copied the contents of the previous internal drive over using super duper, which worked out well for me. There is no problem with the computer whatsoever apart from the slow startup and shutdown times... any idea what it could be? If i just ignore it, will it go away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
if you ignore it, then i don't think it will just "go away"... i'm not sure if this will do anything, but try and run a disk repair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not say what system you are using, but go to System, Startup Items and see if there is any application or such there that is slowing your Macbook down. On a desktop Leopard X.5.1 takes one minute and five seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
Well, I will say that when I upgraded to my 250 GB WD drive, the first couple start ups did take a bit longer, but it was right back to normal after that. Is that the norm, I don't know, but everything is fine for me now, so hopefully you get the same result.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.