Ibook for school...

D

DJ DeGaetano

[Edit] Im sorry.. I posted this in the wrong section.. this isnt a hardware problem.[/edit]

Hi!

I was issued an Ibook for school, by my school. Everybody has them, and there is a huge wireless network at school that goes through a proxy. Well heres getting to the question.

I have a wireless network at home, cable internet with a linksys router. The thing Is I want to connect my ibook to my network and get to the internet. What happens is my ibook will connect to my router, but it can not reach the internet because it is still configured to access the internet through the proxy IP of 10. bla. bla. bla and I do not have admin privilages to change/delete the proxy IP. So.. is there a way I can configure my ibook, or maybe my router (I heard somthig before ablut setting up a gateway.. what is that and will it work?) Or maybe there is a program I can get so I can access the internet and or ftp at home by bypassing this proxy.
Oh btw.. mac OSX 10.3 and it is a linksys wrt54g router

Thanks alot!
DJD

OP
M

m1k

OK, see your router manual. It should tell you to connect to an IP address that looks something like this: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx or something like that (the x's are numbers). Connect to that, and you should be able to modify whatever you need to, maybe permissions or security or something like that. I have a Netgear wireless router and I had to do that at the start.

Also, you may want to try unplugging everything and then resetting everything up following the Linksys manual. When I first set up my Netgear, I plugged in everything wrong because I didn't read the manual. That might be your problem.

Or, the problem might be Safari on your Mac. Go to Safari Preferences->Advanced->Proxies (Change Settings). You'll be taken to System Preferences, where you'll be taken to the proxy settings. Try unchecking all the boxes and playing around with the proxies, that might be the problem.

Good luck, I hope one of these works!

OP
D

DJ DeGaetano

Yea.. I know about the router config.

And the whole thing with the system prefs and proxy config is that, I dont have admin privilages. The school has all that blocked.. I was wondering if anybody knew a way around it.

OP
M

m1k

Well, you have admin privelages at home, don't you? It's your iBook and you're logged in as the iBook owner, so you should have admin privelages at home at least.

If you don't, I don't really know what to do, sorry.

OP
W

Wapa18

no he doesn't have admin privileges. it's not his ibook, it's his school's ibook. issued to him by his school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
why don't you ask the i.t. department at your school and ask them if they will give you the privlages that you need to connect over your wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm not sure if you need admin privileges to do this, but you can set up multiple network locations for your mac to operate in, i.e. you could set up one location 'school', configured to connect through a proxy and one location 'home' configured for a direct connect.

If your school won't give you admin priveleges maybe they'll at least set up a new network location for you, based on the settings you tell them for your home.

Btw, a quick way to access the different network locations is through the shortcut in the Apple Menu...

OP
D

DJ DeGaetano

Yea.. I know about locations.. I can't get to them. The school wont set up another network as reassurance that nothing happens to their precious ibooks. So much for the way around it. D'oh.. if I only had that highly gaurded admin password lol
:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well try reformatting the iBook and reinstalling OS X with fresh root password etc.?

OP
R

rallyracerx86

If you have not figured it out by now what you do is download firefox from macupdate.com go to your wired setting and just plug an ethernet cable in to your laptop. I also have a school ibook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.