Need some help with desktop replacment

Reaction score
Hello,
as a new member of this forum I just wanted to say Hello to everyone. Forgive me if I put this thread in the wrong section but my question is, I'm looking to replace my current PC computer ( 2.1 ghz, amd athlon 64 3200+, 1 gig ram, and an ati 9600xt w/128). I'm on a budget and was wondering if the mac mini would be a good choice? Reading countless reviews the only thing that people seem to have a problem with is the mini's integrated graphics card. Would this comp be anywhere comparable to my current pc specs? Also, would i have trouble using a mini for programs like final cut pro? I would appreciate any input or advice you may have for me. Thanks again and nice meeting you all!

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Final Cut Studio 2 will NOT install on an onboard graphics based machine. But that's one of the few that don't run on the mini. You can use other video editing tools on the Mini provided you don't use any 3D rendering features.

The mini is otherwise a fairly capable machine. You can even do photoshop work (max out that RAM). It will definitely be faster than your current PC. Although, the hard drive is a little slower and well, the graphics are not to be spoken of.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Goobimama for the info. Would i be better off with a g4 powerbook then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Uh. I don't think so. While the powerbook will run Final Cut, it's proccy is not as fast as the C2D on the mac mini. Ideally an iMac is a good option for budget as well as performance.

I'm not sure how much an old Powermac G4/G5 goes for these days...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.