My eMac dilema

Reaction score
I just bought two eMacs off of ebay... they did not come with an OS. I installed Tiger and a few programs (MS Office, Firefox). One eMac is running beautifully, the other keeps freezing up. It freezes sometimes when turning it on, sometimes when the screensaver kicks on, and almost everytime I use MS Excel to work on a spreadsheet. I don't know much about computers, but I did check the specs for the OS and the eMac has everything (it runs a 1.25 GHz processor, and 512 Mb ram). Might I have some bum hardware in the eMac? Or should I erase the HD and start over (a software glitch?). Puzzled.
Thanks for your advise.
- Brian

Reaction score
Sorry to say this, but I have recently had to remove three eMac 1.25mz machines from service permanently, that had the same symptoms as yours. I looked up the problem of eMac freezing and found that there is a recognized faulty with them. Something to do with the capacitors getting too hot set next to the CRT. Mac don't make them like this anymore. Looks like you have bum hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try swapping the memory over. Dodgy memory can cause system freezes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You should be aware Apple recognizes capacitor problems with 1.25GHz eMacs and there is a warranty replacement program in place for certain model/serial numbers. Check out this link and act urgently if your machine falls within these numbers:-

http://www.apple.com/support/emac/repairextensionprogram/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.