Converted files in iTunes, now I have duplicates?

Reaction score
So I picked up an iRiver clix and tried putting music on it drag and drop style. When I did, I discovered that all my music was in .m4a style and wouldnt work on the player. I then converted all my music to .mp3 style so it would work. Low and behold, I now have duplicates of all my songs in both formats. Granted the .mp3 songs work on the player now, its rather annoying having doubles of everything in my playlist on itunes.

I did a search for all .m4a extensions and sent them to the trash and emptied the trash. Unfortunately, they are all still in my playlist but not in my folders.

How do I update my itunes to only show the new .mp3 formatted songs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You can add "kind" to the bar at the top where you choose artist/ title/ name/ time, etc... If you add kind, you are able to sort by the type of file it is. You can easily delete all the extra songs in the playlist that were previously deleted from the library.
I would think this would have happened automatically but I am not all that iTunes knowledgable.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks, that adding the "kind" label helped sort it out to be able to delete them all in my playlist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.