loud fan

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 6 years old powerbook .
Mac OS X 10.4.11
1GHz
512 MB SDRAM

lately the fan of the computer sounds so loud even when the computer in standby mood, and it would go quite only when i close the screen
any idea why is that happening? and what can i do about it?

many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Have you tried looking at Activity Monitor? See if there are any applications running that are taking up a lot of your CPU. I've heard of people having "ghost" apps running in the background that they never knew where there which hog CPU.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At 6 yrs old it's entirely possible the fan(s) have just worn out.

But verify you don't have a runaway process. Would get the iStat widget if you havn't already. It will show you what's using the processor if that's the case. I had a runaway process yesterday morning using 70-90% of both processors. While Activity Monitor gave me the current CPU useage accurately, it gave no indication what process it was while iStat showed me the process right at the top of the list.

Oh, and FYI: the process I had ended up being syslogd and was pushing the fans to 6K. It was due to Time Machine. Had taken the MBP to another room, so I had the backup drive disconnected. The syslogd process was in a runaway mode. Even stopping it did not help. It just started up again almost immediately. Finally figured out to turn Time Machine off and that took care of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.