Neo Office vs. Open Office

Reaction score
Hey, I am a relatively new mac user and a friend put msoffice on my imac when I bought it to help with the whole transition/spiritual cleansing from windows to mac. I have just bought a new macbook and need a program to open and save msword/excel docs. I have heard of two - neo office and open office. Which do you recommend and why?

Reaction score
NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice.org's source code. They're about 90% the exact same code. The only difference is that NeoOffice is made to be a native OS X application. OpenOffice.org's Mac version has to run in the X11 windowing environment, which makes it kind of ugly and un-Mac-like. NeoOffice's releases are based on OpenOffice.org's code, so they lag a few months behind Oo_O, but it's a small price to pay (I think) for a native Mac application. They are practically identical in every other aspect.

So basically--they're the same thing. NeoOffice is native OS X version of OpenOffice.org.

I'd go with NeoOffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are trying to select, select NeoOffice. It is a lot simpler to run the "Mac OS X GUI native" version of OpenOffice than it is to run the X11 version... and it looks better too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
You should also try Apple's iWork. Its not free, but you can download a demo of it from Apple's website by clicking here. I prefer Pages (iWork's word processor) over NeoOffice's Writer, but I prefer NeoOffice Calc to Numbers because of better Excel compatibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Another Vote for Neooffice !

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys - i will go with neo.

As for pages - I have iwork and use pages but it is not a word processor at heart and I can't save as word docs or open word docs with it so it would not accomplish my purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
You can save and load Word docs with Pages. To save as a Word file, you simply choose export under the file menu. I also have it setup as the default program to load .doc files. i use iWork because it is MUCH faster than either Microsoft Office or NeoOffice. Is the version you are using iWork '08, because the new version of Pages added a "Word Processing" mode which makes Pages behave much more like other word processing software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.