Streaming content from OS X to TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)
Here's the deal:

I have a ton of video content that I'd like to playback on my TV. It's not on iTunes, and it's mostly DivX/XviD (you know what I'm talking about...) and I'd like to be able to watch it on my TV.

The computer with the external drive where the media is stored is upstairs, and the TV is in the living room downstairs. I want a device that'll let me access all my media from the mac and display it on the TV, with content navigation (a la Apple TV). So I need something wireless.

I don't want an Apple TV because it would mean converting all my stuff to MPEG4 and it doesn't support subtitles (.srt). I don't live in the US so all the TV magic and iTunes would be kinda lost.

So my question is, does such a device exist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I think there are devices that will let you do that. I don't know of any specifically. Sorry:(

You could always buy a mini and put all the alias' from your computer in the movies folder of the mini and watch everything through Front Row. I've watched DIVX movies through Front Row no problem.

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)
Yeah, that's a good idea. An old mini should probably do it, right?
Using FrontRow I would be able to access my iTunes library and playlist, my pictures.. everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Haha, I actually figured you'd want to crack me up side the head for suggesting a mini because they're 2x as expensive as an AppleTV.
I really like Front Row. Integration with your current machine would be quite simple. You would gain the ability to surf MF and other cool sites from your couch.
Luckily, my computer is close enough to my TV so I don't need a mini, otherwise, I would pick up a used mini over the AppleTV any day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.