Retrieving password for Remote Login from Terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
A friend was here yesterday and used terminal and Remote Desktop to access another computer. When he was logging in he entered the password and hit enter at the wrong stage in terminal (so it wasn't hidden by stars so was visible but too complicated for me to remember of hand). It was then entered in the correct spot and the computer was accessed.

Is there anyway to somehow retrieve this password from my computer? I have looked in the terminal history and the pass is not there even though it was entered as a command - only the initial command line to access the computer is there without the commands that followed.

Is there a file on the computer somewhere that would have stored this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Use KeyChain Access.app
It's in /Applications/Utilities/

Use the search feature w/ the username or url... or anything else you can remember.

OP
T
Reaction score
But isn't that only going to work if I actually had added it to the keychain?

I looked through everything in there, and did a search for the username but there was nothing there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Are you saying you want to retrieve the same password he used? Or do the same trick yourself with your own computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.