Do I need Windows for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
I am confused! I have just received a new MacBook with Leopard and I need to run only one little program which only is designed for Windows. I see there is a Boot Camp installation on my machine but do I need to install my complete Windows XP only to run one program which operates in its own shell (it's a banking prog) ? I don't know the difference between Parallels and Boot Camp and whether I need both or just one in order to do this?
Any thoughts please? Thanks.:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
If you use CrossOver, you can run some Windows programs without having to install Windows.
All other products [VMware, Parallels, BootCamp] require you to install Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Most probably you wont need to run Windows via bootcamp if it's just one proggy.

Bootcamp: Need to reboot to get into Windows. Full speed however.
Parallels or Fusion: No need to reboot, windows runs within OS X. Still need to install Windows though. Doesn't run full speed, but it is acceptable for most purposes.
Crossover: No need for Windows. Runs the program as if a mac app. Doesn't run full speed, and doesn't work with many complicated programs.

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
Thanks that's really useful information. I did look at the Boot Camp set up on the notebook and see that it partitions to a min of 5Gbs to run Windows which seems unnecessary just to run one small prog so will look at the Crossover prog. Also when I tried to install my Win XP (registered) disk it asked for the installation/set up disk which i don't seem to have or never have had because the drivers were always on my PC.
Can I delete the 5Gb partition that was set aside for Windows?
Ta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
just run bootcamp assistant again and there should be an option to restore the disk to one partition.

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just run bootcamp assistant again and there should be an option to restore the disk to one partition.

thanks will do. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Crossover: No need for Windows. Runs the program as if a mac app.

Actually they look more like old unix apps. Fonts are all ugly, buttons are square, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
What is the name of the one little program?
Maybe there is a mac version?

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the name of the one little program?
Maybe there is a mac version?

Unfortunately there's not! It's called Money Manager from www.moneysoft.co.uk Since I've built up a data base of my accounts from 1991 on my PC.
I didn't want to start a new finance prog like Quicken (for which I read bad reports of the Mac version) because I could refer to to my history if the Tax Authorities asked for info!
Such is the dilemma when you dump Windows PC#s for Mac! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Anyway of exporting your data to a format that other programs might read?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I tried installing the demo of Money Manager under Crossover, and unfortunately it simply crashes just trying to install. Crossover is simply not gonna cut it as a solution.

Unfortunately one of the problems you and others are facing with a platform change is support for your "legacy" software where there is no Mac version. Does one "simply" continue using Windows in some limited form for a limited number of apps, or do you suck it up and switch to a new app? If you are a switcher for the long-term, then personally I think the best approach is the latter. I would export your data to whatever format may be at your disposal that can be read on OS X and switch wholesale to a new native app that meets your needs. If you can't outright export to a Quicken-compatible format, then maybe you can "print to pdf" your entire history, for example.

As for a new app.. there are quite a few money managers for OS X. Quicken did have a pretty serious issue with one version. I was recently trying out the newer version myself, but after reading of the issues I requested a refund within my trial period because I felt that bug was simply inexcusable, not to mention the software was just way overpriced for my needs. You may want to look into iBank. They have version 3 in beta and from what I read, it is going to be one incredibly nice app.

OP
bumbleboo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all that information and especially for trying it out in Crossover. I suppose I could install Windows in Parallels and run the prog but seems a lot of effort and use of space just for one prog! I think the answer is to go with your suggestion and start off 2008 with a new Money prog but the thought of not being able to refer to the back data is a major problem! So am still thinking!

It seems I wasted my money on buying Crossover (should have gone for the trail version!) and am sure they will not give a refund!
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.