Possibly purchasing iMac G3

Reaction score
I'm contemplating purchasing an iMac G3 off eBay for around $60-$70 to try to see if I like the feel of OS X and also to upgrade the Ram and Hard drive. It would not be my main computer, more of something to mess around on. Do you think this is a good idea, and how does OS X run on a 400MHz G3 processor? If I get a new hard drive I will have to reinstall OS X which I do not have a disc for also, does anyone know where I can get a genuine OS X disc for relatively cheap?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I had a G3 400 iMac Dv which was terrific as a machine. The G3 iMac line had issues with power and video boards. The HD was easy to change in about 1/2 an hour.

Think of your question - buy a HD $80-$100. Buy a OS disk $20 to $50 dollars and get 8 year old hardware that may be at the end of it's life - $65.

So far you have maybe $200 invested into something that may go to dust is a short time. A used G4 or Mac Pro may give you more bang and options as a first machine.

Look very seriously at buying a 20 or 24 inch refreshed iMac and join the present. You may spend more but you will have set yourself up for many years of happy computing.

OP
M
Reaction score
The problem is I really don't have much money to send at the moment and would likely do the upgrades later down the road. This wouldn't be my main machine as I already have a newer laptop that I use. I just want to get a feel for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I saw some dual 500mhz G4's on eBay for $150 or so. If you have a monitor, I would recommend a PowerMac over an iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i don't think you'll enjoy the mac expierence on an older, slower computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Dual 500MHz
This is about 4x faster than the iMac. You can slowly upgrade this and it will last a lot longer than a G3 iMac.

Reaction score
I agree with Bry.
Long ago, i started a thread debating a Dual 500 vs. a Dual 533, and I don't exactly know why, but they said the 533 would be much better, but checking on LEM the prices seem to have gotten WAY more expensive for whatever reason, they are cheaper on eBay. I paid $240 for mine in August.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm contemplating purchasing an iMac G3 off eBay for around $60-$70 to try to see if I like the feel of OS X and also to upgrade the Ram and Hard drive. It would not be my main computer, more of something to mess around on. Do you think this is a good idea?
That is the best idea for someone like yourself.
If you are truly interested in getting a Mac, then getting an older one is the smartest, most economical way to go.
If you don't have any experience with the Mac OS, getting an older machine will still allow you to learn the basic flow of the operating system.
Of course it won't be on par with the latest and greatest. It isn't going to be a speed demon. However, you won't drop a ton of money on it. Speed is not necessarily an essential part to learning the operating system.
You may need to spend some on RAM and whatnot, but that is still a heckuva lot less than getting a brand-new one. You will still be able to get the hang of the OS and how things are done on a Mac.
If you don't like it, then you're not out that much cash. You could probably even "recycle" it on eBay and get most of what you paid for it back.
If you do, then it wouldn't have been that much more money spent to figure out if a Mac is a good thing for you. And nothing is stopping you from putting it up for sale when the new one comes.

In the long run, it is a far better option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.