PS3 Cable Issue.. HELP?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
I have a PS3 connected to my 52" XBR Sony Bravia LCD by a Powerwave HDMI cable and every time I turn the PS3 on there is like sound delay between the PS3 and Tv.

Like, when it loads, I don't hear the start up Sony sound of the PS3 but when I navigate through the menu I'll hear the click's ect..

Then even when I start up a game, I wont hear the 'Playstation' sound or even the "E A SPORTS, its in the game" sound.. all I head is "SPORTS, its in the game"

But the pic is perfect?

Any suggestions? Could it just be a faulty cable? and if so, that brings me to another question, all the HDMI cables out there, from $20 to $200 will they all do the same job? Or will i see better 'responce time' ect like i have read?

I dont really want to spend $200 on cables as I have to buy a HDMI cable to connect my dvd player as well and im just not prepared to spend anything near $400 :(

Help?!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
MHC, non-apple hardware goes in the apple hardware forum? really?

"Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion."

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah really it's another peripheral. You see in this forum discussions on Konica printers, Xbox, external hard drives, etc. The title/content of the forum doesn't mean Apple peripheral, to my knowledge, otherwise there wouldn't be much to talk about apart from the Studio Displays: Apple printers are way gone, for example.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i guess i never really noticed since i use the "get new posts" option mostly and almost never browse the forums individually.

still the sub-header of the forum seems pretty apple specific. ;)

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol, enough about apple, can you help me??

*puppy dog eyes*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I am glad you move them here MHC. The fit better IMO and "Anything Goes" is a great place to relax my brain and get away from all support questions.

As for HDMI, I've never heard of this. Have you tried the RCA cables to see if you get the same audio delay? Have you reset the video configuration by holding the power button till it chimes?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i wish i could. alas, i have no ps3.

i did have an intermittant color issue with a ps2 and a componant video cable (separate rgb cables), the connector at the console side seemed to lose it's red sometimes, and jiggling or torquing the cable slightly would "reconnect" the red. so i wouldn't doubt that you have a bad connector, but there's only one way to find out, eh?

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried the RCA cables to see if you get the same audio delay? Have you reset the video configuration by holding the power button till it chimes?

I have used the RCA cables on my plasma and it was ok but I'm yet to try on my Sony but I don't think it's the Playstation..

Holding the power button? On the Playstation you mean? I haven't ever herd of this or tried it no.. So I will when I get home..

Does it sound like a cable problem in you're opinion?

My Sony LCD is like 4 days old lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Let me check my PS3 and I'll get back to ya in a few. Am using HDMI to my receiver with it.

No, have no delays in the sound on mine. But, my best guess would be that the problem does not lie with the PS3 but with the TV. It may be taking the electronics in the TV a second or two to determine what type of signal it is receiving to begin it's processing of the signal. If this is the case, a new cable will not correct it.

No, do not buy those overly high dollar cables. I am spending the little extra now to buy cables that are rated for the new HDMI 1.3 specification. But, I just recently bought 2 of them off Amazon here in the US. They are some nice loooking cables, 2 meters, HDMI 1.3 and $17 each (they were $24 when I got them). They support True HD, DTS HD and have a lifetime warranty. I have compared them for both sound quality and video quality against those $100 plus cables on my 65" 1080p and a 55" 720p and running the sound thru a Yamaha receiver and Infiniti speakers in both locations. It is beyond my eyes and ears to see or hear any difference. And while this high end video has really only been around for a few years now, I would be considered at least a semi-audiophile for the last 35 years or so.

edit:
You do have audio settings that can be adjusted for the HDMI out on the PS3. It typically is set to auto, which means it has to do a handshake with the device it is connecting to. This can cause a delay in startup sounds.

On your PS3, go to Settings, Sound Settings (hit the X, not the right arrow key here - each takes you to a different place), then Audio Output Settings, then HDMI (if this is your only connection for sound to the TV), then Manual.... while running sound strictly thru your TV, I would probably check only the Linear PCM 2 CH. 44.1 & 48 kHz and uncheck everything else. You can write down the current settings to go back in if you want.
You can also try each of these two settings one at a time. This may or may not help out. But, bottom line, if all you're losing is what you "really" don't care about anyway, I wouldn't sweat it.

Over the weekend, I'll give it a shot connecting direct to my Sony and let you know what happens.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just read how to do the video config reset, it just reset's the PS3 to video config to like 480p so it can run on any tv incase you mess up the setting's or move it around from room to room tv to tv..

But I dont think this will help me..

Any other suggestion's?

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And can I just ask, am I correct in thinking that any HDMI cable will send audio and video signals?

Or will I have to but a separate cable for my PS3 and say my Sony dvd?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Check out my edit above.

And yes any HDMI cable will carry your sound and video. Have not gotten all the way into the technical end of them, so they may not all carry a True HD or DTS HD 7.1 signal for instance.
You can switch the cables when you want to switch devices, but think you could find someone down under that's carrying reasonably priced cables to avoid that.

OP
bennjiboi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may or may not help out. But, bottom line, if all you're losing is what you "really" don't care about anyway, I wouldn't sweat it.
Thanks for going to such extreme lengths and trying to help.

I mean, I do care cause it's just plain annoying and when you own one of the best LCD's on the market and a Sony at that, its nice to think everything should work lol

I dont want to doubt the tv, although I did think about that in the sence like optical, waiting for a signal ect..

So I was already on that track but we'll see what happens..

I'm also going into Sony Central tomorrow to ask them and see what they say..

*sigh*

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know what they say... If you don't have it sorted, let me know and I'll give a shot at going direct from the PS3 to my Sony over the weekend.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, what'd the Sony folks have to say?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.