Installing an upgrade version of XP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Folks:

Can anyone suggest a LEGAL way to install our upgrade copy of XP SP-2 in Leopard using Bootcamp, or for that matter, using Parallels or VMWare Fusion?

It seems due to the hardware limitation of the Macbook (can not eject installation CD during install process) that we either have to purchase a full copy of XP SP-2 or forgo installing it at all. We really do not want to run anything Windows, but unfortunately, there are certain programs we use that are not available yet in OS X.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
The minimum SP2 installation restriction isn't a big deal if you have a friend with a PC running XP and CD-burning software like Nero. All you need to do is copy your outdated XP Install CD to your hard disk, update the copy with SP2, and then burn your now SP2-updated install CD back to a bootable CD-R. There are step-by-step tutorials on the web. The magic word to include in your Google search is "slipstream" -- the integration of patches and service packs into original installation files. XP updates are designed to be slipstreamed, and automated tools like nLite are available to remove or add components to WinXP install images.

Read this article:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You'll not be able to install via an XP upgrade disk. The BootCamp process requires a full version disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll not be able to install via an XP upgrade disk. The BootCamp process requires a full version disk.

Please read my post.
You can slipstream an upgrade to a full version with SP2 AND THEN INSTALL THAT.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And if you'll read the original OP's question....
Which included being "Legal"... Installing an upgrade version onto any machine without a prior version is not "legal" (or within the EULA), regardless of whether it is possible to slipstream SP2 onto a disk that already has SP2 on it, also per his original posting.

Am very familiar with slipstreaming SP2, have been doing it for a number of years. Have never heard of anyone trying it with a disk that already had SP2 on it, so I don't really have a clue if that will work or not. And if it is possible, it still doesn't change the fact you're still trying to get around the EULA of the original disk which is that you must own a prior version of windows dedicated to that specific machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't he install windows 98 or windows me in vm fusion and use that to install the upgrade? (if he has an upgrade cd then I presume he has a full version of windows me or 98?

Or clone an image of a windows partition with xp already installed and copy that to the bootcamp partition?

Google found this http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2007061814524541

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.