external harddrive

P

prophet

I'm looking into buying an external harddisk to plug into my iBook. I'm going to be editing video soon, and I'm going to need a whole friggin lot of disk space, which the 40gb harddrive in my iB isn't capable of providing. But it needs to be relatively affordable (150-200 dollar range).

maybe someone could be so kind as to suggest a brand and/or places to get or order one?

and if it has to take the firewire port, is there any such thing as a firewire splitter? I know they make USB ports, but I need the firewire to transfer the DV to the computer, so if I have a harddrive pluged into it, it would defeat the purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
the dock will kill the speed, any way get a la ciel, they are good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Most factory external hard drives have an extra firewire port on them so you don't lose your port

OP
R

Ryanstech

I will vouch for the LaCie Firewire drives as well, we have been using them for years and have had no problems. The new ones are pretty cool looking also.

OP
L

ldj

IS the a big difference with speed between firewire 400 and 800. Cos i wanna get the LaCie Porsche 160GB HD and they only come in Firewire 400. There are Firewire 800 HD's and i wanted to know if thers a big diffrerence ot not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
the speed is almost twice. la cie claims they get 88mbps on fw800 which is almost ata speeds, sata is 150mbps i think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.