black keyboard on powerbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daughter_anna

sorry if i sound a so unknowledgeable, but i just HAD to ask..

i saw a couple people at school who had powerbooks with a black keyboard. why? and what model is it?

OP
M

m1k

It's a Titanium PowerBook. They were the first G4 PowerBooks ever released, and they're **** sexy. Their design is what the current Aluminum PowerBooks were based on, and they were what sparked Apple's 'shiny metal' theme in it's Power___ products (PowerBook, PowerMac, etc.)

Titanium PowerBooks are also known as TiBooks. They start at 400MHz and go all the way up to 1GHz. A few years ago they were replaced with the current G4 Aluminum PowerBook 15". Before the Aluminum PB 15" was released though, the 12" and 17" were released. When the 15" was released the TiBooks were extinct.

But TiBooks are still **** amazing and they're still really good looking. I personally like the looks of the TiBook better than the current PowerBook 15" Aluminum.

This Apple History lesson was brought to you by m1k. :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I bet you get great wireless reception in a titanium notebook!

Now this is sexy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
pshhhh! PC! :p Butt yes i does look nice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Yeah but you have to use external peripherals on that from what I can tell. I'll take my PB thanks :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
firsteggprez said:
pshhhh! PC! :p Butt yes i does look nice!
I knew that was going to happen. Someone would criticize it because its a PC. Poor reasons, very poor reasons.
gort said:
Yeah but you have to use external peripherals on that from what I can tell. I'll take my PB thanks :).
You try fitting a CD drive in that thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's my point. I am guessing that laptops with an internal cd/dvd drive won't get much thinner (if any) than the current powerbooks. Until cd-drives become obsolete like floppies are now, I don't think I could bear using a notebook that required an external one. They're a staple! To its credit, the thickness of that laptop is incredible.

OP
M

MoltenLava

I've had two Sony laptops. Sony has great design team, but their build quality is questionable. Keyboard is one of the worst in PC industry. Bundled Sony software is buggier than any production software I've ever seen. The screen is great, however. I love Sony screen. One thing about those ultra light laptop is they tend to tip over backwards, because of the weight of the screen.

OP
D

daughter_anna

MoltenLava said:
I've had two Sony laptops. Sony has great design team, but their build quality is questionable. Keyboard is one of the worst in PC industry. Bundled Sony software is buggier than any production software I've ever seen. The screen is great, however. I love Sony screen. One thing about those ultra light laptop is they tend to tip over backwards, because of the weight of the screen.

i agree. the keyboard on my sony laptop was hideous and all the built-in software really SUCKED. but, it was a great machine though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Sony screens are the best on VAIO laptops. And yea, that laptop is such a piece of beauty, it is unbelieveably thin :eek:

OP
I

Icarus

is there only one USB port on that bad boy? Tell me I can't read or something...(I actually just looked at the pictures!) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just saw this laptop, they featured it on the screensavers. It's only 1.1 ghz, $3,000 USD, and has 20gb hard drive. Not that anyone would be surprised that the specs would be pretty poor in order to achieve such light weight (1.8lbs) and the thin profile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another TSS viewer! :D

They are currently making it smaller.

OP
C

Crypto

Never in life, I'd trade my powerbook for a VAIO.
They look nice alright, but they lack one thing .... the apple :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
Absolute Zero said:
I knew that was going to happen. Someone would criticize it because its a PC. Poor reasons, very poor reasons.

I said it looks nice but it's just not appealing to me. It a pc and we're in a macforum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
firsteggprez said:
I said it looks nice but it's just not appealing to me. It a pc and we're in a macforum.
We have debates about politics in a Mac forum. We talk about other stuff, too.

OP
M

m1k

Now this is sexy.

Now that is just stupid. There's a fine line between good portability and ridiculous portability. C'mon, who needs a laptop that thin? There's no reason. You pay $3000 for a crappy processor, non-upgradeable RAM, a crappy pointing stick and a puny 20GB hard drive. Not to mention no drives at all. And the battery life is only 4 hours, unlike PowerBooks.

And what do you get for $3000? A crappy computer (don't tell me it's not crappy because it is) in a thin computer. Sure, thin is nice, but Sony really overdid it. You won't notice much difference at all between the PowerBooks and Sony's... What do I call it... Borg-like thing. There's like a **** inch difference. It's not going to matter. I'd personally rather have a PowerBook G4 12" for much less with a SuperDrive, an 80GB hard drive, more ports, a better keyboard, a better pointing device, upgradeable RAM and more battery life, as well as like 2x the performance.

1 lousy inch really isn't worth all you lose. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Insecure much? Your post is retarded, there's no reason to act like a jealous child. I think a laptop like that is IDEAL for a business person who is always on the go. Perhaps lawyers. Not for a computer enthusiast or someone whose work relies on heavy processing power.

OP
M

m1k

Insecure much? Your post is retarded, there's no reason to act like a jealous child. I think a laptop like that is IDEAL for a business person who is always on the go. Perhaps lawyers. Not for a computer enthusiast or someone whose work relies on heavy processing power.

My post is not retarded. That's too portable. Do you want me to give you a point-form list of reasons

BAD
-more expensive
-no drives AT ALL
-less ports
-smaller hard drive
-non-upgradeable RAM
-less battery life
-crappy OS
-bad processor

GOOD
-slightly thinner
-slightly lighter

There's no reason at all to get that laptop, unless you want a slightly thinner laptop than the guy nextdoor. An inch really isn't worth all of that stuff. There's like no difference at all between the weight if you're carrying a briefcase, which, may I point out, all lawyers do. You won't notice 2 pounds of weight if you're carrying around a briefcase full of other stuff. But wait, you will, because you have to spend an extra $200 for a USB CD-R drive, that's at least 2 pounds and it's not thin at all. It sort of defeats the purpose if you have to lug around an external CD drive in order to do anything productive at all.

So there. Reasons for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
m1k said:
Now that is just stupid. There's a fine line between good portability and ridiculous portability. C'mon, who the **** needs a laptop that thin? There's no reason. You pay $3000 for a crappy processor, non-upgradeable RAM, a crappy pointing stick and a puny 20GB hard drive. Not to mention no ****ing drives at all. And the battery life is only 4 hours, unlike PowerBooks.

And what do you get for $3000? A crappy computer (don't tell me it's not crappy because it is) in a thin computer. Sure, thin is nice, but Sony really overdid it. You won't notice much difference at all between the PowerBooks and Sony's... What do I call it... Borg-like thing. There's like a **** inch difference. It's not going to matter. I'd personally rather have a PowerBook G4 12" for much less with a SuperDrive, an 80GB hard drive, more ports, a better keyboard, a better pointing device, upgradeable RAM and more battery life, as well as like 2x the performance.

1 lousy inch really isn't worth all you lose. Sorry.
Reading that post made my laugh so hard that I began to see stars. Thanks for the laugh, because I needed it.

First of all, I would love a laptop that thin. Great for wardriving and things like that.
Next, my processor is crap compared to the one in the Sony. And chances are, if you do get this laptop, you are obviously not looking for power.
A puny 20 gig hard drive? Why do you need more?
It doesn't have any drives BECAUSE IT IS THIN. I'd like to see you build a WORKING laptop that thin with drives. Go for it, I'll laugh in your face as you fail miserably.
Where the **** are you going to use your laptop for more than 4 hours where you cannot charge it anyway? I only get 2 hours out of my PowerBook, don't be a fool.
It is not crappy. If Apple put a G3 in here and it ran OS X, it would be the best thing since sliced bread for you people. Seriously, screw off and admit that you just love Apple.

Now now little Apple lovers, we should probably be getting back on topic now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.