Help with script

Reaction score
I'm looking for help with a script. I'm deployed to a "far away land" and the Internet service provider has a total monopoly on it's services. One of the totally asinine policies is that they will log you off every 4 hours regardless of activity. This is allegedly to properly share bandwidth. I won't get into how they have most VOIP sites blocked since they are also the only phone provider for us.

I have a friends script written for Windows that pings the ISP's server every xx minutes and when it doesn't get a response, it goes to the login page and enters the userid and password to put the system back on the 'net. I have no experience with Pearl or Python or Applescript so I'm looking to see if there is anyone here in the mac-forums that would be willing to give some advice.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Since we only get 4 tv channels, my reason for wanting to do this is so I can download TV shows which typically take 6-8 hours each to download. I set up a download before I go to sleep and then I get up a couple of times during the night to log back in so I can have the show to watch the next evening.

Thanks,
Craig

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.