Auto Hide the Dock?? Do you do this?

Reaction score
I've had my mac book pro for a few months now and I always keep my dock open at all times but whilst following some video tutorials I've noticed that a lot of users seem to have their dock setup to disappear when not in use.

I was just wondering how most of you guys work, do you have permanent dock or do you use the hide function?

Ricky55

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
FYI~ You can turn "Auto-Hide Dock" on/off very quickly with Option+Cmd+D

Reaction score
I auto-hide it for when I need to use parallels in coherence view.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I hide my dock because I usually have so much going on and I don't really see a need for it being visible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
I use a program called "Overflow" that I can put all of my apps in. Kind of like an extra space/window that pops up when you click on it. Then it just shows the programs that are open on the dock. So, I can make my dock really small, but big enough to see so I can open programs.

dock2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Mine is on the left side of the screen and auto-hide...don't really use it for much once i have my terminal open
I like the Option+Cmd+D idea tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Plus I'm doing too much dragging files on applications on the dock to have the patience to wait for the dock to appear is a never for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I dont auto hide mine unless i am using it with a projector for a presentation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I always have mine on autohide! Like my old days in windows with the taskbar, I think it just unnecessarily taskes up screen real estate. It's not something I need all the time, and when I do it pops up instantly when I move my mouse down there.

I think the question should be, why wouldn't you autohide your dock!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i do not auto-hide mine, it's part of how i manage my open windows. i put it on the left and keep the icons small and the magnification off, and with the macbook's wide screen, i really don't lose much space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I do not auto-hide. My computer isnt exactly fast and there is a very slight lag when its auto hidden to when it comes up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Mines on the bottom, and I keep it hidden. I like to use all of my screen at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I generally keep my dock hidden. If you're doing design, every extra pixel of space helps.

I only use it to launch apps. For switching, I just use command+tab.
If I'm taking a screenshot though, I'll show the dock, as I often customise dock/wallpaper/icons/adium to match, so it just looks better that way.

OP
Ricky55
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm glad I asked. Being a new mac user and working with people who all use PC's its hard to pick up little tips and shortcuts, like the the one that hides the dock.

I always like to know how other people use their macs just to pick up some new tips.

Ricky55

Any one else got any nice short cuts? that are linked to the dock / working efficently on macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I'm a new mac user too. I don't hide my dock because I don't like to "accidentally" open it when I go over where it should be with the mouse.

First I had it at the bottom of the screen (default), now I it's on the right side, smaller, and without the magnifying function. I like it this way. - As another poster said: with the macbook's wide screen it doesn't really take up that much space. :)

Oh, and I'm enjoying the new commands, too. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
I hide my dock, i've only got a 13" macbook so i need all the screen space i can get. Plus because it's widescreen i can have my bookmarks open in the sidebar of firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use auto hide and it is simply a matter of moving cursor the extreme bottom of the screen and up pops the Dock.

Reaction score
I hide my Dock merely because when I'm trying to concentrate on reading something or watching something it distracts me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.