Folder View Options Dilema

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Hey all,

Quite a simple dilema this one, not so simple to fix, if even possible at all!

Ok, when you view your files in a folder, in one of the views you have got your columns along the top, like Name, Date Modified etc etc.

Well is there some kind of hack, or add on, to put more of these in? I understand you can go to view options and pick from a ridiculously short amount of options, but the options I want aren't in here.

As I work with music a lot, I'd need to have File Name, Artist, Title, BitRate, Duration, Size etc.

Can anyone shed any light?

It would pain me greatly to think that Apples latest OS is limited in this area, as Windows have had these options for donkeys.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The Finder is a file manager, and it only shows the options that apply to all files. (What's the bit rate of a Keynote presentation? What's the duration of a JPEG?)

You might try another file or music browser

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Finder is a file manager, and it only shows the options that apply to all files. (What's the bit rate of a Keynote presentation? What's the duration of a JPEG?)

You might try another file or music browser

Windows explorer is a file manager as well, and it doesn't have the slightest problem!

When headings don't apply, then the field is blank, this inst an issue at all.

And macs are meant to be better!

I really am just gobsmacked right now with the lack of column headings available! Not good enough apple!

On the phone tomorrow I think to give off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Windows explorer is a file manager as well, and it doesn't have the slightest problem!

When headings don't apply, then the field is blank, this inst an issue at all.

And macs are meant to be better!

I really am just gobsmacked right now with the lack of column headings available! Not good enough apple!

On the phone tomorrow I think to give off.

I think it might be useful to have something like that - but majority of people wouldn't need it.

Thing is, audio files are usually managed by audio programs - iTunes, garageband and various professional level programs. It's here that you can see those details, in the programs that use them and sort them.

Designers using Adobe CS have Bridge as a means for file browsing, EXIF data viewing, batch processing etc. While finder does SOME of these things, Bridge is purpose built for that, and it's better that way.

My point is, a purpose built viewer would be more effective, and also more closely integrated with the work that you do.

I've discovered the same question at other mac forums, and there were several suggestions:
• Use Finder labels to colour-code bitrate or whichever category you want
• Enter the bitrate (or whichever category) into the comments field of the info pane, then set Comments to display in the View Options.
• Create your own script of software for this

All would be pretty time consuming though.

Only other thing I can think of is using a variety of smart playlists in iTunes to automatically sort your files. This could be your best bet, as you won't need to go through files yourself, won't be time consuming, and you can sort the columns just how you want within each smart playlist - so there'd be no blank columns.

In another forum I came across, this link was given to various scripts. I haven't tested any, as I don't deal with music all that much, so I can't guarantee the relevance to your work. You may be able to find something useful here.
link

As I read on this other forum though, a plugin to add another column would be a lot of work to produce, and I believe finder isn't open to much editing in this way. Furthermore, Finder has been designed for different uses to Windows, with a different audience and purposes in mind.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it might be useful to have something like that - but majority of people wouldn't need it.

Thing is, audio files are usually managed by audio programs - iTunes, garageband and various professional level programs. It's here that you can see those details, in the programs that use them and sort them.

Designers using Adobe CS have Bridge as a means for file browsing, EXIF data viewing, batch processing etc. While finder does SOME of these things, Bridge is purpose built for that, and it's better that way.

My point is, a purpose built viewer would be more effective, and also more closely integrated with the work that you do.

I've discovered the same question at other mac forums, and there were several suggestions:
• Use Finder labels to colour-code bitrate or whichever category you want
• Enter the bitrate (or whichever category) into the comments field of the info pane, then set Comments to display in the View Options.
• Create your own script of software for this

All would be pretty time consuming though.

Only other thing I can think of is using a variety of smart playlists in iTunes to automatically sort your files. This could be your best bet, as you won't need to go through files yourself, won't be time consuming, and you can sort the columns just how you want within each smart playlist - so there'd be no blank columns.

In another forum I came across, this link was given to various scripts. I haven't tested any, as I don't deal with music all that much, so I can't guarantee the relevance to your work. You may be able to find something useful here.
link

As I read on this other forum though, a plugin to add another column would be a lot of work to produce, and I believe finder isn't open to much editing in this way. Furthermore, Finder has been designed for different uses to Windows, with a different audience and purposes in mind.

Thanks I understand what you are saying.

However, no matter how many reasons and explanations there is for this, the simple fact remains, that Windows does it, and Mac OS doesn't! I just cant see past this.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.