iPhone/iTouch: Two thumbs or one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I haven't tried this in mail yet but i know in safari when you flip to horizontal view more spread out keyboard is laid accross the bottom so if you hold the device with two hands you cam type very quickly with btoh thumbs. Am i the only one whp does this?

I can see this being a big help writing emails, as it's much easier and faster to type than using one thumb on the smaller keyboard.

Has anyone been able to use the wide keyboard in mail? I dont compose a lot of emails so I havent gotten the chance.

I sometimes use the little keyboard where i'm not writing a whole message like here, (this was all on my touch) with my indexfinger but it always takes forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
I have always used my index fingers. I lie the device down or hold it in my left hand and use the index fingers just like I mainly use on a regular key board. I find it a lot easier to use than using thumbs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i use two thumbs when typing an email. once you get a hang of the keyboard with two thumbs you will be amazed at how easy it is to type an email in narrow view.

As of now the mail program only supports the narrow keyboard. If you use a website for your email then you can type an email using the wide screen keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
If I have two hands and a lot to write, I use 'em both. If I only have one hand, I either a) lay it down and use my pointer finger, or b) use my thumb.

I find it to be really easy to type on and I love getting the comments like "How do you do that so fast?!" :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
I find it to be really easy to type on and I love getting the comments like "How do you do that so fast?!" :D

I love getting comments like that. It just makes you to want to keep typing, but then you run out. Then it sometimes lags and you keep typing and there is just a burst of letters all of a sudden. That's always cool. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I love getting comments like that. It just makes you to want to keep typing, but then you run out. Then it sometimes lags and you keep typing and there is just a burst of letters all of a sudden. That's always cool. :Smirk:

Yeah... I'm a BIG texter. Gradually added more and more to my plan until I finally got unlt'd because I was going over so often. And especially now that I not only text but have IM forwarding set up.

IM forwarding on the iPhone is cool because it already looks like iChat, so it's like a normal conversation on your computer... just compacted. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I switch between one and two thumbs depending on my situation. If I need to quickly fire off a text message, I'll generally use one hand. Otherwise I have no problem using both thumbs on the smaller keyboard. I can type very fast now that the phone has adapter to my thumb size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i find my self using to thumbs when i am stat down but most of the time go with an index finger tbh i havent found a natural way to type on the keypad but switching between an index finger and 1 or 2 thumbs seams to do the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
2 when possible, which is almost always.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.