Dilemma: Which one should I get???

P

pcjabber

Alright. Here we go. I basically have 3 choices:

• 40GB 3G iPod
  • 20GB 4G iPod
  • 40GB 4G iPod
The first has accessories included, of course (but I have no clue where to buy it -- I would prefer not to buy it from eBay -- I don't want it used.

The second has no accessories, so after the dock and the remote, it'll be $377! (299+39+39).

The third has the dock only, so after the remote it is $438 (399+39).

Is the Click Wheel as bad as I've heard? Is the 12-hr battery life worth it? *** did they get rid of the dock and the other accessories included? Is the audiobook slow-down/speed-up thing worth it? Where can I get a _new_ or _very slightly_ used iPod 3G? Opinions? Comments?

Oh yeah, and I think my mom is going to get it for Christmas for me, and I need to know so I can tell her.

One more thing -- Is AppleCare worth it for the iPod?

Thanks!

OP
M

MoltenLava

Click wheel is better than touch wheel. Touch wheel looks cool, but it's usability nightmare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
MoltenLava said:
Click wheel is better than touch wheel. Touch wheel looks cool, but it's usability nightmare.

Well, that's a personal opinion... I prefer the touch wheel, and it's usability isn't bad at all (for normal sized fingers :D )

Go to a shop and try it yourself, that's the best way to see which one you prefer...

And I'm pretty sure that, in a couple of months, some people will complain about their click-wheel not working correctly anymore, because dust got cought up inside the clicks mechanics...

OP
P

pcjabber

Avalon said:
Well, that's a personal opinion... I prefer the touch wheel, and it's usability isn't bad at all (for normal sized fingers :D )

Go to a shop and try it yourself, that's the best way to see which one you prefer...

And I'm pretty sure that, in a couple of months, some people will complain about their click-wheel not working correctly anymore, because dust got cought up inside the clicks mechanics...
I did try both, the former (3G) at the Apple Store in Denver, CO (I was there for a conference this summer -- our closest Apple Store is about 3 hours away! And I can't drive as I am not quite yet 15!), and the latter (4G) at Best Buy in Myrtle Beach, SC (my grandparents live there...) I liked them both! I am thinking about going thru one of those free iPod things (I WILL NOT POST THE LINK HERE!!!), but that's up to my mom. if not, maybe she'll buy one for me. I see that eCost.com still has the 3G 40GB ones.

D'oh on the click mechanics. What is your opinion on that? I didn't mind it. I do think the touch wheel was nicer, but the 12-hr battery life is just too good to resist ;-). Especially if it is free (no more talk of the free iPod thing, I swear!)

Also, Is AppleCare worth the $60 for the iPod?

Thanks!

OP
M

MoltenLava

Avalon said:
I prefer the touch wheel, and it's usability isn't bad at all (for normal sized fingers :D )

I don't think fingers are something you brag about being bigger than others, so I won't lie. I also have normal sized fingers. ;)

The usability **** as I put it is because of lack of feedback. Ever wondered why the arcade driving game doesn't feel that real at all? Because there is no feedback. You turn your wheel to the right, and the car on the screen moves to the right, but you don't feel any centripetal force that pushes you to the side. Have you seen any mouse whose buttons don't click? The reason for the tactile feedback is to acknowledge the user that the input has received. With those **** touch buttons you don't know if you have actually clicked it or just touched it or touched it by mistake. It annoys the **** out of me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, I guess that's why Apple added the audible clicker to it... :D
But I see your point.
Anyway, it's a personal choice, isn't it? ;)

OP
T

TylerMoney

I like the 3g iPods better. If for nothing else, looks. I just think it looks so much better with the 4 buttons on top; and you don't really have to push any of the buttons. I hate the fact that you have to push the buttons on the new click wheel...and you actually have to hear the click...ikk...but, they're still sweet..and do have better battery life...so, really..that might be the smarter way to go...though, I would still probably just buy the 3g ones...but I have one, so I'm not worried about buying a new iPod for a while...even when my battery goes dead, I'll probably just pay the 99 bucks to get a new one..or just replace it myself...I'm happy with my iPod the way it is...but rock on with your decision.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.