Can't boot from Leopard DVD, what am I doing wrong??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Everything I have read in other threads says I need to hold down C at startup to boot from the Leopard DVD, but when I try that it boots from the HD anyway and then I get stuck with the Leopard install process.

What am I doing wrong???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Well, you are correct in that you should be holding C when booting. Have you tried going into System Preferences > Startup Disk and selecting the CD from there?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, I finally got to disk utility in DVD boot. I went through the instruction to erase my HD, but it's not erasing from what I see. It just quickly says" preparing to erase" then "mounting disk". After that it still shows the same amount of disk when it should say 0.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you give Apple a Call? Sounds like a faulty DVD to me. Or take it back to the Apple store, ask them to look at it.

I wonder if overall quality in the commercial media is top notch. I bought DiskWarrior 4 and got it finally before New Year's: when I try to boot from the CD, it makes my iMac G5 throw such a fit, it kernel panics immediately. I am doing tests, on and off and am in contact with Alsoft. There are just a few things left to verify and if it still keeps up this way, I will ask Alsoft if I can return this CD and get a new copy. On the surface, there are circular scratches and I cannot wash them off. Betcha the reading is affected by those scratches.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok I feel like an idiot. I finally got it to do what I wanted. I didn't realize when you tell it to erase or format, it doesn't do so in the traditional sense to the word. I had to go into swcuirty options for that. Everything should be fine now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Did you give Apple a Call? Sounds like a faulty DVD to me. Or take it back to the Apple store, ask them to look at it.

I wonder if overall quality in the commercial media is top notch. I bought DiskWarrior 4 and got it finally before New Year's: when I try to boot from the CD, it makes my iMac G5 throw such a fit, it kernel panics immediately. I am doing tests, on and off and am in contact with Alsoft. There are just a few things left to verify and if it still keeps up this way, I will ask Alsoft if I can return this CD and get a new copy. On the surface, there are circular scratches and I cannot wash them off. Betcha the reading is affected by those scratches.
If he can boot and launch the utility, it's probably not the disc...

What does the "Used capacity" say?
You don't have to go the Disk utility route anyway.

If you click the "options" button during the install, you can choose to "Erase & Install" Leopard.

M

MacHeadCase

DOH! I read in the opening post he couldn't boot from the DVD, it went directly to the HD instead. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
MHC I was also battling with Alsoft. Struth v. 4 is s-l-o-w. On my G4 it takes about twelve minutes to boot. They need to do some work on this as it is not as near as efficient as v. 3 is.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok guys, one more problem with Time Machine. I named my computer the same as I had before, but when I went to migrate my info from Time Machine, it didn't like that both names were the same, so it made me rename my Time Machine account. So now I have 2 admin accounts: one has all my backed up info loaded into it, but I can't access the Time Machine info from before, and the other has the Time Machine info, but it won't let me "go back in time" anyway! I may have to call support on this one, but if anyone has experience restoring with Time Machine, I would appreciate some help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
MHC I was also battling with Alsoft. Struth v. 4 is s-l-o-w. On my G4 it takes about twelve minutes to boot. They need to do some work on this as it is not as near as efficient as v. 3 is.

My version 4 is fine ...... but I can't compare with 3 as I haven't used it before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.