iMac: first post-delivery newbie question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac:20-inch, Intel 2.0
Yesterday, my base-level iMac (my first Apple product) was delivered and I set it up last night. So far, I've only had time to ensure I had good internet access. I do.

My first post-delivery question concerns this: The manual says "Do not move the computer while the hard drive is running or horrible, horrible things may happen to the hard drive and it could be damaged. Turn the computer off first."

Hmmmm. Okay. But what if I want to tilt the screen (and of course the entire computer) forward or back to control glare? What if I want to turn it to the left a little bit, or to the right?

I see people with Macintosh notebooks all over town, in restaurants and Starbucks, and they're working and moving their machines around. They're not damaging their hardrives, are they? I wouldn't think so.

So, moving my new iMac around a little bit on a level surface is okay while it's turned on? Or not?

Thanks.

Tinnitus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
small moves such as tilting the screen should not harm the hard drive. Just avoid quick movements and all will be fine.

Gaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
The manual means don't pick it up and move it around the room, tilting the screen and moving it slight to the left or right won't cause any damage internally.

Modern day laptop hard drives are different to the hd inside your imac, if they sense movement they will shut off so to cause no damage but that does hinder performance slightly.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac:20-inch, Intel 2.0
small moves such as tilting the screen should not harm the hard drive. Just avoid quick movements and all will be fine.

That's good to know.

But having one of the cats thump into it while being chased by the other cat is not a good thing, I'd guess.

They are now banned from my study.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Like backing up frequently, this is one of those things that should usually be put into practice, often isn't to no harm, but when there is harm, it's often disastrous.

So moving it somewhat probably isn't too bad. Just don't swing it around like a baseball bat, and shut it off if you decide to move it to another room or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
The new iMac are wireless, and I guess some people have the inclination to pick them up to move them from location to location while they are still on. As previously posted, small movements such as tilting the screen should not pose an issue for your computer.

By the way... congrats and welcome to the family ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.