• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Need Some Gift ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
My older brother's birthday is coming up and I'm stuck on ideas for a gift for him. Here's a little about him:

Turning 22
Lives in the City
Cigar Aficionado
Mac User (leopard, MBP, several HDDs)
Photographer
Iphone Owner
PS3 and Rock Band Player
HDTV watcher

Everyone is probably going to say give him cigars, but when I say he's an Aficionado he really is. he orders different cigars from all different countries and probably has hundreds in this huge humidor he has, so I wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket if I bought him a cigar. Humidor is covered. For the most part his computer stuff is covered. he;s the kinda guy who has the latest technology and if he wants something he'll go out and buy it. I was thinking something funny that has to do with cigars or macs, or some really specific type of gadget he wouldn't already have.

This is something I just found that is intriguing. He and his girlfriend live together and she has a little cute lapdog:

http://barscigarsandbrew.com/shop/chewgar16.html
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/cigar/...508/pNo_81010508/id_15101366/opt_/pg_/c_/fpt_

Any ideas are appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
He might like these things.

One of the guitar hero games for the PS 3.
A good scanner as he's a photographer.
Itunes gift card. Might not be a good idea, but if he likes the ipod part of his iphone it might work.
Maybe one of those fancy dog coats.
Or a few Blu ray dvds. If he has a player that is. If he accepts standard dvds, those might work too. But with his HDTV standard might not cut it for him anymore.
A few music albums.
Maybe sheet music for songs from his favourite band he can play with his band.

There is a few ideas for you.

Reaction score
When I have a situation like this i usually go down to spensers gifts and get something for a gag. Last year for my friend it was a shirt that said "corn star" hahahahaha.
People always buy me a pack of CDRs, but it seems these days not many people are using them anymore :O
But some people, like my dad, would rather have more practical things than luxuries, he would take a pair of woll socks over lets say a DVD any day, because socks are worn over and over, and he is the type of person who watches a DVD only once.

UM,
Get him some very expensive candy ;)

I really don't know, im bad at gifts.
Get him one of those car ashtrays and one of those glade fans for cars, if he smokes cigars in his car.

Is he in college?
I always buy my sister stuff she can use for college like USB drives, back packs, pencils, pens ands stuff.
Maybe i'm just a boring gift giver though.

When it was my birthday, all my close friends gathered up all the pictures they had/had taken of me, and some group pictures over the past year or two,
and made a slideshow out of them with the song Good Riddance (the time of your life) by Green day, and made a video of them saying where they first met me and what they loved about me.
It didnt cost them anything, and it wasnt the most cutting edge gift, and it wasnt a new MBP or a new car or something expensive like that. To me it was so much more.
I loved it, when they showed it to me i cried for like 10 minutes in front of everyone.
Actually, i've never been able to make it through the whopping 15 minute video without bawling.
I pop it in whenever I need a little pick me up.

Not sure thats helpful at all, everyone is different.
I'm not very helpful since im bad at giving gifts, but there is always gift cards and tickets to a local play/movie.

Let us know what you get him in the end, and good luck! We've all been there!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.